Need Help Identifying My Factory Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Identifying My Factory Ignition

Looking to replace my Dyna S as it appears to no longer be working. Bike had a Dyna installed when I purchased it and I do not have the factory points in my parts bin. Can't see any stamp marks and I'm not sure if it is/was a Nippon Denso or Kokusan Densi. Also does anyone know the difference in the DS3-1 and DS3-2. Photos below.

PART_1495748858884_IMAG0082.jpg

PART_1495748874386_IMAG0083.jpg

Maybe a better angle

Comment

From the description of the two units at Z1 Enterprises the advancer is different for the KD/KOK or ND system requiring the DS3-1 or DS3-2. I have only seen a ND system so I couldn't tell you anything about the advancer identification but I bet Dynatec technical support could tell you. If you have any trouble getting in touch with them I would be glad to call and see if I could find out.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 05-25-2017, 07:53 PM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Looking to order a replacement today if possible so if anyone has any info I would really appreciate it.

Comment

like OldVet66 said, Dynatek is really helpful.
          I have called them several times and was pleasantly surprised.

They may be able to identify your current Dyna S as being DS3-1 or DS3-2
          so you know what to order.

If they confirm Earlfor
          his statement, you could order either since you have the
          correct rotor. Someone offered a cheap Dyna S on here, that could be an option too.

Originally posted by earlfor
          The only difference between the Dyna "S" DS3-1 and the DS3-2 kit is the rotor.

Also give the advancer some tlc - i see rust on the pivot where the circlip is,
          that may cause stuck levers and bad advance.
          A drop of oil and 5 minutes of work may save you grief in the future.

Last edited by Rijko; 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I will call Dynatech in about an hour when they open. It's 10:14 here and there is a three hour time difference.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 05-26-2017, 11:16 AM.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

In your first post and picture to the left end of the top spring is the manufacture mark. It's a circle. If it has ND it's Nippon Denso. If not its Kocosan Denki.
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

uk gs nut is correct. According to Dynatech the manufacturing mark under the spring post is the only way to tell which advancer you have. They also said the rotor is stamped with a number on the end, 5 for KD and 6 for ND but you might have to remove the end bolt and nut to see it. All rotors are black but heat over time can change the color of the anodized aluminum. My black saddlebags turn purple in the heat of the sun so I guess heat is the cause of that purple rotor.
                Last edited by OldVet66; 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you, oldvet66. I find that's the best way to find out what ignition it is. Could this be made a sticky as it's asked often ?.
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

i think this info would be a great addition to Mr. Poulsen's
                    Dyna S installation manual hosted on BassCliff's website.

Not sure if that's an option, but since that's our main source of
                    documented info ... that's what popped into my mind.

I would be happy to do the documenting if needed.
                    Last edited by Rijko; 05-26-2017, 02:42 PM.
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

hoping to get as much info here as possible, will be saving this
                      thread into my documentation.

alkswheetinjur, would you be so kind as to make a good closeup picture
                      of the manufacturing mark ?

OldVet66, did Dynatek confirm the rotor is th
                      e only difference between the Dyna DS3-1 and DS3-2 kits ?
                      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

Comment

With a little cleaning and closer examination (sorry my eyes are shot) It looks like I have a Nippon Denso. So I will be ordering a new DS3-2. Thanks for the response. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
                        IMAG0091_1.jpg

Comment

thank you alkswheetinjur
                          This thread will help others for sure !
                          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

Comment

Nippon-Denso or Kokusan

Im trying to order Dyna S for my bike and getting really confused as to which version I need. My 1982 gs550e had electronic ignition but a PO has retro fitted points wit ha plate with the condensors sticking out. It has an advance unit with a mark that is a circle with what looks like a Japanese character in it, not ND. So looking at previous posts and reading experts docs which say if its not ND in the circle, its a Kokusan advance unit (See pic).
                            However, sent the pics to Dynatek and also their reseller and they are telling me I need the DS3-2 unit which posts here and the reseller say is for Nippon-Denso.

It seems like there is a conflict between what Dynatek say and some of the posts on this site. Can anyone offer explanation or am I being really stupid?
                            Only thing I can think of is the ND is sometimes in Japanese!
                            IMG_4006.jpg
                            Added - having read a bit more it seems like there might be a 3rd type of advance unit on later bikes?
                            Last edited by ajh; 09-23-2021, 05:05 AM.

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
                            1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                            London UK

Comment

info from dynatek - Suzuki used two (2) different ignition manufacturers at one point: KD and ND. The only difference between the two advancer assemblies is the height of the rotor that fits the advancer. The same ignition plate is used in each system. The issue in identifying the two advancers is that they are not always marked with a KD or ND and the 550 engine may have used either kit, depending on the year. At this point, I would say pick one kit, the DS3-1 for the KD or the DS3-2 for the ND and get the new rotor and advancer installed and see if the rotor fits without either binding when the hold down bolt is secured or has an excessive gap between the rotor and 19MM hex head nut.
                              The difference in the rotors and advancer shaft lengths is nominal and you cannot determine which is which visually and we have no documented advancer shaft lengths for reference.

furthermore there are 3 different part numbers from Suzuki, 2 for pre 79 bikes and then just one for 80 onwards.
                              1980/1981 33120-47020,
                              1978 kokusan 33120-4502
                              1978 ND 33120-45011
                              Last edited by ajh; 09-24-2021, 03:04 PM.

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
                              1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                              London UK

Comment

Working...
                              X