Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced regulator, no avail

Newbie rider looking for input:

My 82' GS550L died during my commute awhile back. Did the stator checklist, stator seemed fine, R/R did not. Replaced the R/R (electrosport) and tried jumping from a car battery, no luck. Now the bike is stuck in neutral (new problem) so I cannot bump start.

Charged my battery overnight. Went to start her up this morning. Battery was at 12.65v before firing up, and the engine finally caught after several cranks on full choke.

The battery was at 11.95v on full choke and the engine died after a minute. After that, the starter would still turn the engine but it would not run on it's own.

So today's conclusion....the electrical system is still not recharging, and now the bike is dying on it's own. And it's still stuck in neutral lol.

Battery is only two months old. I will admit the connection job I did between the new R/R and stator is not pretty, but would that cause the bike to die at 11.95v?

She's my first bike and I'm bummed to see the days of our short riding season passing by. Input appreciated guys.

p.s I'm aware the SH775 is a superior R/R, noob mistake

You need to carefully check stator,not assume it's fine.
    Do this and report back your numbers..

Do this test.. Disconnect stator leads from r/r. with your multimeter set on 200vac scale (or same scale that you would use for house outlet) While running bike to about 4k to 5k rpms, measure stator lead to stator lead and note the 3 readings. At same time and same meter scale, put one meter probe on any stator lead and other probe on good bike ground - you want to see a very low voltage reading, 0 would be best.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What part of "Chicago"? (downtown? suburbs?)

I will be passing through there on Monday, might be able to stop by.

Send me a PM with info.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do contact Steve.
        He is traveling with tools, and experience, and knowledge, and willing to help

.... and tell him and us, when you "jumped with a car battery" do you mean a car battery, and not car battery with car running ...? (Big difference)

Sometimes it is hard to get xmision into or out of netural when engine not running.

Last edited by Redman; 05-27-2017, 09:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Car was off throughout the failed jump attempt.

Already talked to Steve and we are aiming to have a look tomorrow morning.

Will report back. Many thanks guys

Comment

OK, here is the "report back".

I stopped by, met Mr. Mic Check 1, 2.

Got the bike running, kept it running by re-connecting the vacuum hose from #2 carb to the petcock.

Could not check the effectiveness of the R/R replacement because the stator output was a whopping 17 point something on all three legs.

We chatted a bit about the "fun" of changing the stator on a 550. Unless somebody knows a trick for some shortcuts, you have to remove the starter cover to be able to get the stator wires through. The problem is that, to get the back bolt off of the cover, you have to remove the carbs. To remove the carbs, you have to move the airbox. To move the airbox far enough, you need to pop the front half of the rear fender loose. Hopefully, he doesn't have to remove the cam chain tensioner to lift the starter cover off.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

if you give a moose a muffin....

Steve to the rescue once again.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Sounds just like my 650 starter motor cover - that bolt was very short,once broken free,I could spin off and out with my fingers.
                Take off carbs?? Get serious,that must be avoided at all costs!

PS: I didn't bother to put that screw back in 6 years ago
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

(...)to get the back bolt off of the cover, you have to remove the carbs. To remove the carbs, you have to move the airbox. To move the airbox far enough, you need to pop the front half of the rear fender loose
                  Oh the dreaded carb removal on the 550s. I'm getting shell-shock flashbacks....but I can report that one can get away with "just" unmounting the airbox - at least pre-'80 with VM's.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

As Steve mentioned, it was a very productive meeting. The holy GS whisperer recommended a Caltric stator for my bike.

Caltric website does not list the replacement for 1982 stators. But it does list 1980 and 1983.

1980: 31401-47020
                    1983: 31401-43400

Wondering if any are compatible with 1982. Same goes for gasket.

My ambitious plan is to guide a wire as I remove the stator, then guide it back with the new stator. Seems feasible in my newbie world, reality may be different. I fear carb removal.

Comment

Skipped the Clatric website. Ordered the stator and gasket from Amazon, which ships directly from Caltric.

I found their "fit for xx model" descriptions to be strange.

Gasket fits 1980-82
                      Stator fits 1982-83

By that definition, my 1982 is good. Just odd that the stator/gasket combination would not work on a 81 or 83. But it somehow works on my 82.

Fingers crossed folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X