1983 GS450e street tracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS450e street tracker

Alright, I finally got back a bike I had been working on for a friend last summer, he lost interest and ran out of extra money to throw at it so I was able to get him to sell it to me for $100!
    Like most people probably do I had initially figured it would be a good bike to make a nice low budget cafe racer out of it, but after a couple nights of research I decided that there are already enough of those
    going around, and I live in Seattle so this bike will need to be comfortable and maneuverable around the tight bumpy streets of the city. Also, being in my early 30's my back will probably be thankful for a more upright riding
    position. Here's a link to my imgur page that I'll be updating with all the pictures as I go along. So far I've put about 4 days into it and have it stripped down to every last bolt. Wiring will be handled with an M-Unit system unless anybody is aware of a more convenient solution. This build should progress quickly as our summers are known to last about 3 months sometimes if we're lucky so I've really got that fire lit to get it done!

Attached Files

Street trackers are cool. I really loked the 450S stock. I would buy it if the right one crossed my path while I had money to spare. All the ones I see are thrashed, and I want a clean one.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yes, mine would fall into the trashed category. Looks like somebody kinda half-ass started "fixing it up" a while back then it just sat for a long time. Not a good candidate for an original restoration although I agree they stock trim was pretty good looking!

Comment

I am trying to avoid any un necessary internal engine and transmission work, what are the basic things I should replace other than gaskets while I have the engine on the stand? and what tests can/should be done while it's out like this?

Comment

A valve adjustment and carb clean would be easier with the engine on a stand.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
          X