Hockey Puck kick stand "mod" GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hockey Puck kick stand "mod" GS850

Ok... so I found out they don't sell single hockey pucks here in Florida.. oh well. Cost me as much to get a dozen as it did to get 3 so now I have a dozen hockey pucks, 3 of which are my prototype kick stand pads. I am going to cut them down at work tonight and smooth the edges and will install and have pics up tomorrow (6/2/2017). If your 850 is like mine...it looks like it is on the verge of tipping over when you put it on the side stand. The hockey puck adds a rigid non-slip inch to the lean. HUGE difference in the lean on the kick/side stand. I am also carving out some rubber round stops for the stand kick arm as well. If you are looking to do this yourself. They 850 measurements for the stopper are 25mm round (about an inch) 20mm tall and the hole in the middle is 9mm. The puck you can cut down to any size you want as long as it is slightly larger than the stand foot. I am using 2 socket cap bolts, lock washer, washers and a nylon lock nut (all SS) recessed into the puck. Since I am going to have some left overs, if anyone would want one, few bucks and pay shipping and I will send you one. I need to get a cost on the hardware. If not, I will post a tutorial of how I did it. The puck is great, you could even carve out a little of the top of the puck to rest the foot on if you don't want to permanently mount it...but then you are spending 5 minutes getting the puck in place with your foot lol.

Sounds like something is bent. My 850's angle of dangle is just dandy...

However, I did have to add a hockey puck to my V-Strom DL1000 -- with raising links and upgraded springs, it had a pretty extreme angle of lean.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Sounds like something is bent. My 850's angle of dangle is just dandy...

However, I did have to add a hockey puck to my V-Strom DL1000 -- with raising links and upgraded springs, it had a pretty extreme angle of lean.

Dang Brian, I don't think I ever seen your 850 that clean! Look at that shine! ☺
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

After I put new springs on my T the bike leans like crazy on the side stand. I'd be interested in one of those hockey pucks. I use the center stand pretty much all th time as i am very uncomfortable with all the weight on that side stand.
        PB
        Central Jersey
        82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Here is the progression. I already drilled 2 holes in the foot of the stand, will have to get a pic in the morning its raining now. The one furthest to right is final product, recess/countersink on other side of puck. The round piece you see is the bumper stop.

my lean increased with the install of new shocks and springs.... didn't think it would make that much of a difference but it did. I am almost afraid to put it on the side stand if its windy lol.
          puck 1.jpg
          Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

other pic of puck almost finished. I put a bevel on the edge of this one...don't think it needs it.
            puck 2.jpg

Comment

A lot of the time the stand mount on the frame will bend with age. Also the mount on the stand will spread and make the stand sloppy which makes the bike lean over more.

If it was me I'd either cut the stand and weld in a piece to extend it or weld a piece of 1 inch box tubing to the bottom of the stand.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                A lot of the time the stand mount on the frame will bend with age. Also the mount on the stand will spread and make the stand sloppy which makes the bike lean over more.

If it was me I'd either cut the stand and weld in a piece to extend it or weld a piece of 1 inch box tubing to the bottom of the stand.
                buy a new stand and forego all the extra work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
                  buy a new stand and forego all the extra work lol.
                  That's not going to do anything if the mount on the frame is bent.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

hockey puck the easiest solution for me. Don't have access to a welder, grinder/cutter or a full garage area. Would have to take it up the road to Rick to have him do it if I were to have it done. As for the mount, does not look bent. Puck will do fine and its a low labor/low cost/solid fix solution.

Comment

I'm not drilling through the only NHL hockey puck I've ever received from a hockey game: Kings vs Flyers on Feb 4, 2017.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        I'm not drilling through the only NHL hockey puck I've ever received from a hockey game: Kings vs Flyers on Feb 4, 2017.

Ed

I have plenty...don't worry, these are pratice pucks...but still solid rubber without the fancy NHL logo and frills.

Comment

Please post a pic of the finished job....I'm definitely duplicating this for my T.
                          PB
                          Central Jersey
                          82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

It shicks me how a lot of guys wil slam their bikes onto the side stand
                            I carefully shut down and make sure I am in low gear.
                            roll as far as possible in the direction the bike wants to roll
                            then gingerly set the bike onto the stand.

no bends
                            no roll offs
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Finished products

here ya go....gonna be a few posts036.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X