X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator replaced, shortcut success

Hi all, reporting back with good news from my previous post:

"Replaced regulator, no avail"

Long story short: I was warned by Steve and other users about the extra "fun" steps for replacing the stator on a 1982 550L. These steps included starter cover, carb, and airbox removal. As a garage-less noob parked on the city streets of Chicago, I wanted to avoid removing these parts at all costs.

That is exactly what happened.

Upon old stator removal, I pulled out only two wires instead of all three. The third wire was intentionally left in place as a future "guide" for the new stator wires.

With the new stator ready to go, I tied the old "guide" wire around the three new stator wires. Duct tape was carefully wrapped around this knot to act as a taper, forming one smooth wire.

(Note: without the smooth taper, the new wires would not feed through the exit hole under the starter cover. Picture feeding one wire through a small hole, then suddenly having four wires trying to bypass the same hole. No bueno. Being gradual was key.)

By pulling out the old "guide" wire, I successfully pulled the new stator wires out with it, straight through the starter cover and out to the R/R.

Happy to report that my bike has been resurrected from the grave. Big shoutout to Steve for his helpful visit and everybody that reached out - you guys rock.

Congrats! That's gotta be a good feeling.

Ahh Chicago, my old stomping grounds. Much easier to find parking with a bike.

Comment

OH man I wanted to use my old wires as a pull string but it was in there tight and under a clamp and I had to remove the front sprocket cover. Not a huge deal because I didnt have to pull the carbs or air box but still a step I would have liked to skip. You scored!

Comment

Originally posted by microphonecheck12 View Post
        By pulling out the old "guide" wire, I successfully pulled the new stator wires out with it, straight through the starter cover and out to the R/R.
        Good job, mic check.

Nice to know that there is a shortcut that actually works, at least part of the time. As Boriqua mentioned, sometimes the wire is either clamped or pinched under the starter wire, which would make your trick nearly impossible. Nice that it worked, now get out there and ride that thing.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X