GS425L Project Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425L Project Bike

Hey everyone. New member and complete motorcycle noon here. In fact I don't even know how to ride a motorcycle... But as a recent unemployed grad, I really wanted a hobby. Turns out, bikes are amazing, who knew. I'm stuck right now though, and was hoping the elders might help me out.

About the bike:
    The bike looked like it was in good condition besides some cosmetic rusting, and only had 14k miles on it. The previous owner ran a motorcycle business out of his home, and he showed me that the bike would run, but couldn't idle for very long. He thought it was a simple carb issue, and otherwise it'd be back on the road in no time. The cluster lights turn on, although he had to jump the relay solenoid to get it to start.

After bringing her home, I pulled the carbs and did a full disassembly and cleaning using carb cleaner and a thin wire to poke out all the holes. Then squinted more carb cleaner through all the inlets to make sure everything was clear. The carbs themselves looked quite good, I just replaced the O rings and main jet as it was pitted. The airbox looked filter looked brand new, so I left that in, and I bought a new battery and plugs. I verified that the starter, plugs, and petcock worked, then put the carbs back in. The after trying to get the bike to run off both the starter and Kickstarter, the only thing I got was one pop and some white smoke out of one exhaust. I pulled the carbs again and the float bowl was full of gas, not really sure what's going on here. I checked that the slides were working correctly by blowing into passage leading to the diaphragm and got nice, smooth motion.

So this is where I'm stuck. Maybe since I'm completely new to bikes I'm making a very simple mistake in starting it? The start button itself doesn't seem to work either. I was thinking perhaps I wasn't getting enough vacuum to squirt enough fuel into the cylinders, and my next step is to completely redo the wiring. I also noticed that the o ring on the air mixture screw was pretty tight. When I tried taking it out it slipped passed the groove and onto the threads. If anyone has any suggestions on what could be the issue, that'd be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

When you cleaned with carb cleaner do you mean a carb dunk bucket or spray bottle? Could still have clogged passages if you didn't to a full dip for 24 hours.

You said float bowl - was that a typo or did you check both?
    Is your vacuum line connected to the petcock? If not your petcock won't be supplying gas properly but also you will have a massive air leak.

When you tried starting it did you use choke?
    If the carbs are clean and everything as it should be the proper procedure to start up is:
    1. Switch petcock to prime for several seconds to allow float bowls to fill with gas.
    2. Switch petcock to `On'
    3. Activate choke (in reality it's a `fuel enrichener')
    4. Hit starter/kickstart with NO throttle (i.e DON'T TOUCH IT!)
    5. After engine warms up a bit (or after you have ridden off) deactivate choke

Hopefully thats helpful
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
    X