GS850 wiring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 wiring problems

18261447_1283115751806116_1694166650_o.jpgSo a few months back i bought a 1981 Suzuki GS850 for 400 bucks. Hasn't ran sense 07, no mechanical problems as far as i known. I've rebuilt the carbs and the engine isn't locked up. But i am having some electrical issues, when i put the battery in and turn the key all the lights come on. But when you flip the switch and press the button to start it, nothing. I've already tested the starter and it works and i put in new starter solenoid. I'm hoping some one can give me a idea on where the problem could lye. This is my first bike and im hoping to have it running soon.

Did you pull the clutch lever in when trying to start it?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

is there some sort of sensor hooked to it ?

Comment

Yes it's called the clutch safety switch. Pull the clutch handle in and the bike should roll over. If not, try tracing the wires coming out of the clutch handle into the headlight bucket and connect them together with a jumper wire on the bike side. One way or the other it should roll over.

Comment

well i pulled the handle apart and there was no sensor so should i buy another handle or where does wiring go after the handle

Comment

The sensor is not in the handle but in the mount for the clutch lever just under the hinge. There are two wires that go from there to the headlight bucket. Those wire can be shorted together and that will allow the starter motor to run. You also need to have the kill switch turned on. It's the switch located on the right-hand side of the handle bar.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

after further examination i have realized that i am a complete idiot i forgot to ground the starter solenoid. Now im putting every thing back together and ill post some pics after i get her done.

Comment

Working...
              X