have to move the clutch handle back and forth to get starter to kick in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have to move the clutch handle back and forth to get starter to kick in

I have an 83 gs750e. To start the bike i have to hold the starter button down, move the clutch back and forth until something connects and it starts right up. Any ideas what might be the bad connection?

Thanks

Look under the clutch perch. There should be a small contact switch with 2 wires there. The screws can be loosened and the switch adjusted. It's also likely dirty and in need of cleaning. Easy to open up and clean, just keep a bag or something under it during disasembly to catch the tiny parts that may fall.
    Or you can bypass the switch as many do.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The switch contact connects to the harness in the headlight bucket. You can just short out the two wires and bypass the entire clutch lever safety switch. In most cases, all you need to do is clean the contacts and adjust its position.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

To be more specific..loosen the two screws just a little and use a thin screw driver to slide the brown waffle board. Moving it toward the steering head should make the switch engage easier and toward the bars end will make it engage less. Or , as was mentioned, eliminate it by unplugging the wires inside the headlight bucket. Once the lead from the switch is unplugged just plug the ends from the main wire harness together and remove the switch from the lever.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks worked great

Comment

Working...
          X