Removing speedo and tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
    There is a suzuki part to plug the tach cable hole. I'll do some searching for the part number. You have to take the valve cover off to get the gear out.
    I would appreciate that number as well. I put a Trail Tech Vapor on last year and am working towards removing the OEM gauges this year after paint and some other work, so will be needing that plug.

EDIT - Is this it?

Buy Suzuki 26442-45000 - TACHOMETER HOLE. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

Mark
    Last edited by mmattockx; 06-30-2017, 01:50 PM.
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...442-45000.html - Plug

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...449-33000.html - Plate

You need to remove the gear entirely from inside the head and put this plug in place. Use the plate to keep the plug from coming out. I ran mine without the plate and only the plug for nearly a year with only minimal leaking. If I were to pull the cable again, I'd put the plate this time. Also, use the same O-ring from the cable sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
        http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...442-45000.html - Plug

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...449-33000.html - Plate

You need to remove the gear entirely from inside the head and put this plug in place. Use the plate to keep the plug from coming out. I ran mine without the plate and only the plug for nearly a year with only minimal leaking. If I were to pull the cable again, I'd put the plate this time. Also, use the same O-ring from the cable sleeve.
        Excellent, many thanks.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
          ... I'm considering getting some of the mini guages instead of removing them completely. I wonder if the stock cables would work with a set of after market mini guages. ...
          If you decide to go the mini-gauge route, be aware that there are several drive ratios available. I don't know which one is necessary for our bikes, so you will have to do some research on that, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Damnit ... Now you got me thinking about mini gauges!!!!!!
            Now my gas gauge doesnt work and my trip meter is about to go but I think even though I never had an oil temp gauge now that I have it I would miss it. If I go to mini speedo and tach what can I do about my oil temp. I dont recall ever having a bike with one but ... it is fun to look at now and again.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Mini gauges

Comment

mini gauges from dime city cycles...just need the right ratio as mentioned...used my existing cables.
                if you get the gauge with the indicator lights you will need to add a diode for the turn signal indicator...that's assuming your bike has a separate turn signal indicator light for left and right blinker. The gauge has only one indicator light for the two turn signals...simple once you know what you need to do...it is documented on the forum in another thread.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gregp View Post
                  mini gauges from dime city cycles...just need the right ratio as mentioned...used my existing cables.
                  if you get the gauge with the indicator lights you will need to add a diode for the turn signal indicator...that's assuming your bike has a separate turn signal indicator light for left and right blinker. The gauge has only one indicator light for the two turn signals...simple once you know what you need to do...it is documented on the forum in another thread.
                  Did you make the mounting plate. Its pretty nifty!

Comment

I believe the ratio is 4:1
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                    X