Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carburetur parts question...Sorry if it's a repeat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetur parts question...Sorry if it's a repeat!

Long time browser, first time poster! Sorry if this is a repeat question...

The Story:

I am the proud owner of a '82 GS850GLZ. Last fall, near the end of the season, started having revving issues...it's happened before, had the carb cleaned and synced, etc...that fixed it. This time, I waited until the weather cleared up a few weeks ago and towed the bike to a mechanic to have a rebuild done. The mechanic is a reliable guy and I've never had an issue, but he's having issues getting the rebuild done, says that he needs some part.

Her referred to this part as a set of "slide needle seat" to fix the issues he's having with the engine not revving. I can't find a reference to "slide needle" anything in the carb rebuild guides on BikeCliff's website. Is there another name for this part?

Checking my shop manuals, I see 3 things labeled as needles of some sort: The Jet Needle, the Needle Jet, and the Needle Valve

I'm assuming he means needle valve seat? If so, where can I go to get replacements? If Not, what's he actually talking about?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM.

Could talk to your mechanic again and then get a photo?
    I would assume he is referring to a needle valve seat as well but i don't see why he would need a set. Odd that they were all bad.
    If the carbs were cleaned and synched in the fall what were the symptoms this spring that made you think it needed a carb rebuild?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Perhaps he means the jet, needle? Here's a picture showing the corrosion on the ID from a set I had on interestingly enough, the exact same bike: '82 GS850GLZ.

I was fortunate to have the ability to cut one in half at work (using wire EDM) and was surprised to see how corroded the ID was... the cavitation & pitting allowed fuel to "cross-talk" between the holes (jets) even when the slide needle was supposed to be cutting them off...

I chased that issue for quite a while before I found the problem. Ordered a new OEM set and problem gone.

Not saying this is your issue, but something to think about.

D0810-0083.jpg
      Last edited by hikermikem; 06-30-2017, 09:14 AM.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Another pic:

D0810-0085.jpg
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

That's the needle jet pictured above and if yours are dirty then they should be cleanable. I've never had one that was so bad that it couldn't be cleaned.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Mine were beyond cleaning, they were badly corroded and simply wouldn't/couldn't do their job...

I agree however, have never seen that on any of my bikes before...
            Last edited by hikermikem; 07-01-2017, 08:12 AM.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Let me know if you need some. I may have a few.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                Could talk to your mechanic again and then get a photo?
                I would assume he is referring to a needle valve seat as well but i don't see why he would need a set. Odd that they were all bad.
                If the carbs were cleaned and synched in the fall what were the symptoms this spring that made you think it needed a carb rebuild?
                I was experiencing an extreme lack of power/ability to rev under load (When transmission was engaged), and some odd stuttering in rev when revving when clutch was disengaged as well...It had been awhile since I'd worked over the carbs, other than some really basic tweaking. I decided to just go ahead and have this guy do an rebuild of the carbs. The kits used to come with these "slide needle seats" but didn't this time, and after the rebuild, the issue with the revving was still happening, and that's the only thing he can think of that's not been done, at this point!

Comment

Kits are rarely required when rebuilding carbs.
                  Obviously you don't want to keep throwing money at the carbs but it MIGHT be time to get them back from your guy and send them to one of the experts from here.
                  Chef, Steve, Chuck Hahn, Paul Jones in Canada.
                  If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Kits have a bad reputation. If they are not from the carburetor manufacturer, perhaps that is your problem.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The reason that any sort of extreme corrosion or clogging could be an issue is because the petcock has been broken for several years now, since before I bought the bike 6 years ago, so I usually try to run the bike empty, or siphon it out of the tank between Summers, but it does run and trickle has all riding season, and last winter I didn't get it drained at all, so fuel has been feeding slowly into the carburetor all winter, since October at least.

I feel terrible about forgetting to empty it out, but...Things happen...I am having that petcock issue taken care of as well this time.

Comment

Update to the thread! Went down to the shop again this weekend to talk to the guy about the parts he was needing. It was part 40 in the exploded view diagram, or
                        part:

JET, NEEDLE (X-5) Part# 09494-00263

Which was apparently marked out out of stock, but misread as whatever the code is for no longer available by their parts ordering people the other day...but it was in stock the day I went in, so I may be back in business soon (As far as riding goes).

Comment

Originally posted by bloodfeier View Post
                          The reason that any sort of extreme corrosion or clogging could be an issue is because the petcock has been broken for several years now, since before I bought the bike 6 years ago, so I usually try to run the bike empty, or siphon it out of the tank between Summers, but it does run and trickle has all riding season, and last winter I didn't get it drained at all, so fuel has been feeding slowly into the carburetor all winter, since October at least.

I feel terrible about forgetting to empty it out, but...Things happen...I am having that petcock issue taken care of as well this time.
                          This might be creating more issues than just in the carbs. Leaking petcocks can cause fuel to get into the engine case as well, diluting and breaking down the oil. You might imagine how that might affect lubrication. Don't forget that the clutch will also see some of that oil.

Time to swap out the petcock and be done with that pesky problem for the next 15 years.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I may have some 5-5 needle jets. Let me check tonight and I'll get back with you. Those parts haven't been available for quite some time now. Used is pretty much all you can get.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by bloodfeier View Post
                              Update to the thread! Went down to the shop again this weekend to talk to the guy about the parts he was needing. It was part 40 in the exploded view diagram, or
                              part:

JET, NEEDLE (X-5) Part# 09494-00263

Which was apparently marked out out of stock, but misread as whatever the code is for no longer available by their parts ordering people the other day...but it was in stock the day I went in, so I may be back in business soon (As far as riding goes).
                              Perhaps they look like the ones in posts 3 & 4...
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X