Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[1979 550E] About to dismantle my turn signal switch, anything I should know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[1979 550E] About to dismantle my turn signal switch, anything I should know?

My right turn signal switch doesn't 'click' into place and feels mushy, the left side of the lever works fine. I have to hold quite hard to get it to work. Going to take the cover off and clean a bit/ file some burrs if thats what the issue is. Any tiny springs and such I should be careful about? I could not find any diagrams online of the inside of the assembly, but I'll be taking pictures of every part and where it goes for reference. Seems like a shot of lube in the hole would not fix it, so unfortunately I should open 'er up. Praying I don't mess anything up, I'm not the greatest at this.

I would recommend wrapping a plastic bag over the switch to catch anything falling out
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      I would recommend wrapping a plastic bag over the switch to catch anything falling out
      That, and a good exploded diagram showing how to reassemble it.

Comment

UPDATE!
        I actually fixed it, for now. I couldn't find an exploding diagram or guide, didn't dig crazy hard, but yeah. I am considering making my own guide to help others because this was a bit tricky to fix and don't want anyone else to share this pain, lol.

there was what appeared to be a swivel/hinge pin nut and a screw that goes through it that binds the lever and everything down tight, and that had been stripped and lost the sturdy-ness needed to flick the archaic switch back and forth. I found a new larger screw and fitted it through and a bit of cleaning on the switch itself, the switch works great now. It's not perfect, it doesn't feel factory new, but it works, and I didn't pay a dime feels good to DIY

Comment

Working...
        X