Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 katana 750f engine noise.... And other anomalies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 katana 750f engine noise.... And other anomalies...

Seems to be No issues through out driving ranges, noise is constant and does not seem to fluctuate with speed. Just always there. Idle rpm is fast to increase, starts easy and seems to creep up. Cracking the throttling certainly increases rpm but takes forever to settle back down. After riding for a fair distance and once stopped I can get the rpm to settle by keeping the bike in gear and loading the engine with brakes on and slowly letting the clutch engage until rpm drops to normal.
    There doesn't seem to be any indication of excessive fuel use either.
    I have checked the valve clearances, only the needed to be adjusted, I've disassembled the carbs and cleaned using the ultrasonic method as well endured all the ports and openings were clear, measured and reset the floats. Removed and inspected the automatic can tensioner.
    I've even tried the screw driver to ear to try and isolate...
    One thought may be the oil cooling/lubrication part of the system... Bike doesn't overheat 😃 that's a plus

Here's a video, thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Scott

It may be your cam chain making the noise. It may be stretched more than the tensioner can deal with. On the idle issue, spray some carb or brake cleaner around the intake boots and see if the rpm changes. You may have a leak cause the high idle.
    Last edited by gsrick; 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

It'd be good to hear it at higher engine speeds to see if it indeed stays constant. I can't think of too many mechanical things that move at a constant rate with an increase in engine speed.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It does seem louder towards the back, so maybe the cam chain tensioner?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Here's the link for higher rpm,

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            It does seem louder towards the back, so maybe the cam chain tensioner?
            I've read a few articles about the preference of installing a manual tensioner, I'm just not sure if that'll fix it, I'm still on the fence if I should try it out not?

Comment

I think maybe you are more correct now that I think about it and of course listening to the video with the higher rpm. As GS Rick and bigd_83.... Maybe it could be the Cam tensioner or chain stretch... Runs like a charm though, no exhaust smile at all, no studded or stall

Comment

Originally posted by Moose122000 View Post
                I've read a few articles about the preference of installing a manual tensioner, I'm just not sure if that'll fix it, I'm still on the fence if I should try it out not?
                If it is stretched beyond what the spring tension of the factory tensioner can provide a manual tensioner can help as long as it extends past the distance of the factory. I've done a few on late model Yamaha R1's and a GSXR 600 at work. The R1 uses an oil fed hydraulic/spring loaded tensioner that a lot of people have been using the manual tensioner to get rid of that horrible noise you may hear in some. I don't know about the Katana 750, but I can imagine it might the same one used in the GSXR600. They are really simple items. If I remember right, they are only around $50 on eBay. We've used APE brand, make sure to get a new gasket if it isn't provided or you can cut your own.
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

The bike has just little over 70,000 kilometers on it. Changing to the manual certainly wouldn't hurt and it's the easiest to do compared to the other options. I'll keep this thread updated.
                  Thanks for the advice 👍👍

Comment

Does sound like cam chain related, but what about exhaust manifold gaskets?
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I never even have that a thought.... I'll check tomorrow, thanks

Comment

Exhaust manifold is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                          Does sound like cam chain related, but what about exhaust manifold gaskets?
                          Gaskets are good. No leaks

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            It'd be good to hear it at higher engine speeds to see if it indeed stays constant. I can't think of too many mechanical things that move at a constant rate with an increase in engine speed.
                            Here's the higher idle/rpm link

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                              It may be your cam chain making the noise. It may be stretched more than the tensioner can deal with. On the idle issue, spray some carb or brake cleaner around the intake boots and see if the rpm changes. You may have a leak cause the high idle.
                              So I sprayed each boot and no notable increase in rpm, I then sprayed a shot under the tank and the rpms increased slightly, looking with a flashlight and raising the tank slightly I can see all hoses are connected.

Comment

Working...
                              X