No announcement yet.

Mounted my first motorcycle tire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last tire I put on the other day, I used a motionpro bead popper 0000-motion-pro-bead-popper-blue-mcss.jpgand a big rubber mallet to do the second bead. Just start the bead on one side and put both knees on it to hold it down, insert the bead popper and start hammering away. It was considerably easier than spooning it on with irons and didn't have to worry about skinning up the rim. One day I will pony up for a tire changer of some sort. Maybe a NoMar. As for breaking the bead, I've used my big bench vise on tires that will fit in there. I've recently acquired a bead breaker as shown above that works pretty well. I've also used the motionpro, but that is a little more work. Key is to lube the beads with something and have a nice hot tire.

Comment

Originally posted by fixmybrokecomputer View Post
      Last tire I put on the other day, I used a motionpro bead popper [ATTACH=CONFIG]52045[/ATTACH]and a big rubber mallet to do the second bead. Just start the bead on one side and put both knees on it to hold it down, insert the bead popper and start hammering away. It was considerably easier than spooning it on with irons and didn't have to worry about skinning up the rim. One day I will pony up for a tire changer of some sort. Maybe a NoMar. As for breaking the bead, I've used my big bench vise on tires that will fit in there. I've recently acquired a bead breaker as shown above that works pretty well. I've also used the motionpro, but that is a little more work. Key is to lube the beads with something and have a nice hot tire.
      I like that gizmo and when toy money allows I'm going to find a bead breaker. I used my bench vice and a peice of wood to break the bead, awkward but very effective.
      My problem wasn't breaking the bead but getting the new one to seat on the rim. The guy at the tire place had an air canister that would release a blast of air instantly. While I held the nozzle on the stem he aimed this canister at the open area of the tire and released it. That got the bead sealed and I was able to seat it with normal pressure.
      I'm going to lay the tire in the sun the next time to warm it up as you suggested. That may have done the trick also.
      Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
        I like that gizmo and when toy money allows I'm going to find a bead breaker. I used my bench vice and a peice of wood to break the bead, awkward but very effective.
        My problem wasn't breaking the bead but getting the new one to seat on the rim. The guy at the tire place had an air canister that would release a blast of air instantly. While I held the nozzle on the stem he aimed this canister at the open area of the tire and released it. That got the bead sealed and I was able to seat it with normal pressure.
        I'm going to lay the tire in the sun the next time to warm it up as you suggested. That may have done the trick also.
        I use an 8' 2X4 and a 12" 2X4. Put one end of the long 2X4 under your pickup truck, the short one about a foot from the truck between the long 2X4 and the edge of the tire laying on the ground. Work your way around. All about leverage....
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
          When you have a hard time getting a tire to inflate, take a ratcheting tie down strap and wrap around it. Get it tight enough so that it starts to compress the tire in the center of the tread. Then try to inflate it. Many times this will get the beads to seal enough to inflate. Hope that helps someone in the future.

Comment

20170807_172554.jpg
            Took a chance on GSRicks Harbor Freight bead breaker and with a little modification for Motorcycle, ATV and lawn mower tires it's gonna be awesome! $55.00 good deal.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

14th week of 2015 and 49th week of 2016 are the dates the tires were manufactured
              TheGS650LNoob

Comment

Originally posted by The650LNoob View Post
                14th week of 2015 and 49th week of 2016 are the dates the tires were manufactured
                He was aware of that when he bought the tires and posted this FOUR YEARS AGO.

Please check posting dates before responding.

Welcome to GSR.

Comment

You need 4 arms or two bellies for the tubed ones... well done. Balance them on some axle stands using the axles as a pivot using the heavy spot method.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X