Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on a 1977 Yamaha XS 750 with 1100 miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW - you can pretty much forget about the mileage as anything but a nominal figure on a bike that has been sitting for 30 years.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      But then, so is a Fatboy.
      Hahaha
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I had an XS750 for a little bit. Bought it from a buddy fixed it up then let him buy it back. He uses it as his daily beater bike. Runs good, not a fast machine. The primary chain drive can get loud on them but I know folks make homemade adjusters for them. I wouldn't want one again. The exhaust note does sound cool though! Watch out for 2nd gear... I know these bike are prone to losing then.
        Last edited by Jedz123; 07-18-2017, 09:53 PM.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

For years & years, Yammys were known for 2 nd gear problems, have they fixed them yet?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I know the XS/XJ series had the issue, and so did the VMax, but by the time I bought the FZ1, there was no longer any major issue with the gearboxes that I am aware of.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Lots of bikes across the board had 2nd gear issues - I had a ZX11 (ZZR1100) that had it, amongst others.

Consensus was it was partially due to abuse and the "throw" between first to second (with neutral in between). Of course, most gearboxes are 1N2345 but some were more susceptible to damage / wear going through neutral than others (especially if we're talking big HP and high RPM).

FWIW I've had a few XJ Yammies but have never encountered this sort of gearbox issue with them. And one of the sweetest changing gearboxes I can remember was on the XJR1200.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                For years & years, Yammys were known for 2 nd gear problems, have they fixed them yet?
                I modified my XS11 gearbox by shifting a washer on one of the shafts that made it easier to engage the gear and reduce the tendancy to strip the gear. Don't know if this translates to other engine sizes. I had an FJ1200 (derived from the xs1100 engine) for about 12 years and never had any gearbox issues.

BTW the XS range is getting quite collectable here in the UK. As is just about everything from that era. Maybe not worth as much as other brands but still sought after.
                The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

I could still go for a '78 XS11 in the red with gold trim. That was a great looking bike.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I could still go for a '78 XS11 in the red with gold trim. That was a great looking bike.
                    Like this?

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Bastage! Like those, but with the gold pinstriping they came with, and with more standard seats. Yes.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Bastage! Like those, but with the gold pinstriping they came with, and with more standard seats. Yes.
                        So even the 1100's are selling for a grand or less, and this guy was "told" his 750 was worth THOUSANDS of dollars! Maybe in the UK, not over here in the states! You can't give these things away!
                        Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                        87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                        99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                        15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I think I'd enjoy having a 750 that was set up right and aesthetically sorted. It'd be a fun around town bike.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

This guy must want this thing gone quick--price cut in half after only 12 days on Craigslist
                            "carbs need a little cleaning" yeah right, and what else? valve adj.?
                            Might be OK though for 6 hundred.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                              This guy must want this thing gone quick--price cut in half after only 12 days on Craigslist
                              "carbs need a little cleaning" yeah right, and what else? valve adj.?
                              Might be OK though for 6 hundred.
                              Looks like a deal. Those had lots of roll-on power. Way more than a GS1000. When I lived in Virginia one of my riding buddies had an XS11, and the other had a GS1000E. My bike could pull away from the GS1000 (for a little while) in a top gear roll on from 60. The XS 11 would just pull the heck away.
                              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My son just picked up an XS1100 with under 12K on it for 500. It doesn't look to be stored out of the weather all that well, but is solid. It runs well, so no expensive carb work. We just put a new back tire on it. It's not charging fully, just enough to keep the battery up, so that is an issue. We haven't checked out the connectors & grounds yet, so who knows. The motor is tight and as clean as they get. Shifts great. I think it's a very lucky buy since one of his co-workers in maintenance spent years as a Yamaha tech and messes with them still as a hobby. He just laced up two 18 inch rims for a project for us with new spokes for 120 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X