Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are my carbs supposed to look like this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my carbs supposed to look like this???

OK. The bike is a 1980 GS 550L. I bought it sight unseen for $600.
    So I got the bike running after some electrical issues, but it kept flooding and dying and didn't want to idle.
    So I took the carbs apart to clean them and saw this...
    IMG_4758.jpg
    Is that the fuel pickup from to bowl? And what are the parts called, so I can fix it. Or CAN I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by Tackleberry828 View Post
    OK. The bike is a 1980 GS 550L. I bought it sight unseen for $600.
    So I got the bike running after some electrical issues, but it kept flooding and dying and didn't want to idle.
    So I took the carbs apart to clean them and saw this...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]51891[/ATTACH]
    Is that the fuel pickup from to bowl? And what are the parts called, so I can fix it. Or CAN I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    You are missing some parts unless you already removed them. Like the floats and needle valves and main jets. Have you read through the stickys in the carb/fuel technical section?
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

I believe what you are pointing at is the tube that supplies fuel when the choke is on.
      sigpic
      1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
      1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
      1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
      On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
      All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

No need to fix it. Looks like someone replaced the carb for one from another model/year. The tube being open is OK. Just make sure the rest of the jets are the same.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ok. So it's only for when the choke is on! Cool! Then I guess the little bit of gummed up fuel that came off when I dipped was the problem.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I will check the jets too. Thanks for the tip. I sorta had an inkling that the big hole was for a bigger bike, but I was only like 1% sure.

Comment

Your carb cleaning method is poor. You need to take them all the way apart. Check the tutorial linked in my signature.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Or....for just over $200 have one of the members here rebuild them for you! I had Steve rebuild mine.

But if you prefer not to...there's instructions as Nessism suggested.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Your carb cleaning method is poor. You need to take them all the way apart. Check the tutorial linked in my signature.
                  Respectfully, I wasn't finished when I took the pic. I just stopped when I noticed one that was different. I kept them on the rail until the end so I could keep the parts separated by carb#.

Thank you you for the link though. I will look through it and see if I missed anything.

Comment

If you didn't do them by the tutorial, then I can bet you did miss some aspects. Float seats and needle jets need to be removed along with the pilot screws that are located behind the block-off plug. If those were not removed then you didn't do the job you needed to in order to get the smallest passages cleaned out.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I don't think he's gotten that far yet.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Let's not scare off the guy yet...geeze.

Moar pics of your work please. Wait....are you ready for scrutiny? These people are helpful and mean no harm.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

differnt enricher tubes.jpg

hmmm-
                          No need to fix it. Looks like someone replaced the carb for one from another model/year. The tube being open is OK. Just make sure the rest of the jets are the same
                          hope so! ...just cruising here and I can't recall if these "enricher tubes"are solid brass drilled or if there's a drilled jet inserted in a tube- if so, looks to me like someone tried to clean out the hole and thereby either pushed it up the tube or pulled it out entirely...?
                          But hey, if some fateful difference is noted starting up, you'll know where to tinker...a peculiarity for sure and I'd be interested to know if you find it a problem later.
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-16-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X