Gs1000 Bonneville Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maicojoe View Post
    Cool adventure, glad all worked out good for you guys. So what classes exactly did you guys run? 1350cc M-PC (modified frame/chassis with production classic engine) and MPS-PC (modified frame partially streamlined), or M-CG (classic gasoline) and MPS-CG (classic gasoline) ? And in the classes you ran, can you take you engine out to a full 1350cc? And what would you say the difference is between the engine classes PC Production Classic (pre 1981 production) and CG Classic Gasoline pre 1981 engine? Just a quick look at the AMA rule book, for me, it looks like stock production 1980 GS110e would do pretty good in the 1350cc P-PC class. Especially if you could take the engine out to 1327cc with a nicely ported head, with cams and high compression pistons. It looks like with the "P" frame/chassis class, whether current modern production bikes, or stock classic pre 1981 bikes, you have to use the entire unmodified original factory exhaust, carbs, and air box? Plus, it looks like you have to run with the original side stand and center stand?
    We ran 1350 M-CF and 1350 MPS-CF. We could have (and planned to) race M-CG and MPS-CG as well, we may do those next year. M-PC would be pushrod, not production, production has only to do with the frame classification.
    Ultimately we aren't interested in anything with a P in it - that requires a very stock bike and our bike isn't even close to stock, most importantly the frame which is a GS750 part. When it comes to production classes, the only thing that is legal is our engine itself, we would have to buy a whole new bike to run anything production. We're gonna stick with M frame for now.
    Yes you can do whatever to the engine as long as you have stock crankcase, cylinder jug, and head. We could do 1327cc, it's just a matter of $$$ for us however.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
    I entered a race across the Baja Peninsula back in '87. San Filepe to Ensenada.It was about 130 miles over a paved toad I have on;y seen that one time. No pre-run for me. I discovered that after 30 or 40 seconds, I would run out of fuel with both petcocks open. The Mikunis have larger float valves I could install. It was mostly straight, with a couple of twisty areas. My bike would pull 7100 RPM, which as geared, was in the 120-125 mph range. When it starved for fuel, I would have to back out of the throttle till it ran clean. Steady state was about 6500 rpm. I wishI could have run flat out without backing off. The bike finished sixth in the Vintage class. I rode it there, raced it, and rode it home. That was about a 600 mile weekend. Finished sixth in the vintage class. Fred Eiker won overall, on a 1974 Norton averaging over 117. He was hitting 145 on the straights. Only 1, 2, and 3 cylinders were allowed. Lots of Ducatis, Guzzies, and Laverdas. There was a 1st gen. Honda CB750R like the one that Dick Mann won Daytona on that DNF ed.

Most racing, you just don't keep it flat out that long. It is easy for me to believe that you couldn't pass enough fuel.

An old Ducati Jupiter 450 won the singles class over all the Honda and Kawasaki much larger singles with more valves.
    Yep, makes sense. We are going to upgrade our fueling components for sure, with a bigger carb and a big-boy petcock to start with. Sounds like that was a cool race!

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    Thanks for the update on "Stevef. and Kordyte's Excellent Adventure".
    Even with all the work i bet it was a blast.

Top quality photos as well.
    Thanks! It was a memorable trip for sure, we were lucky to have an awesome photographer friend to come with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kordyte View Post
      We ran 1350 M-CF and 1350 MPS-CF. We could have (and planned to) race M-CG and MPS-CG as well, we may do those next year. M-PC would be pushrod, not production, production has only to do with the frame classification.
      Ultimately we aren't interested in anything with a P in it - that requires a very stock bike and our bike isn't even close to stock, most importantly the frame which is a GS750 part. When it comes to production classes, the only thing that is legal is our engine itself, we would have to buy a whole new bike to run anything production. We're gonna stick with M frame for now.
      Yes you can do whatever to the engine as long as you have stock crankcase, cylinder jug, and head. We could do 1327cc, it's just a matter of $$$ for us however.

Yep, makes sense. We are going to upgrade our fueling components for sure, with a bigger carb and a big-boy petcock to start with. Sounds like that was a cool race!

Thanks! It was a memorable trip for sure, we were lucky to have an awesome photographer friend to come with.
      👍👍👍
      Cool, thanks for the info.

Comment


        Cool, thanks for the info.
        Hmm, I just looked at the rule book again, and from what I see, under engine classes, PC equals "Production Classic", not pushrods? The reason for my questions is I have always wanted to give Bonneville a try.... and since I own a bunch of GS1100e bikes already, just kinda looking for the softest records. Here is the copy and paste of what see..

"ENGINE BY CLASSIFICATION All classes, with the exception of Diesel (D, DB) Solar/Electric (W) andOther Propulsion (X) shall use motorcycle engines. A motorcycle engineis defined as any engine that was specifically designed for use in amotorcycle.
        12. A. PRODUCTION (P)
        Use the same engines (gasoline only) originally installed in thespecific motorcycle frame at the time of production and ensure itmeets the definition set in the ‘P’ frame class (See Chapter 4).Original equipment (OEM) shall include cylinders, cases(crankcases), heads, and carburation or throttle body (stock venturisize), kick-starter or electric starter. Displacement determines theclass. OEM displacement specifications must remain stock.
        GASOLINE ONLY. Fuel not permitted in this class. See Chapter 2,paragraph 2.F.
        P engine class shall not run in M, MPS, A, APS or S frame classes

12. B. PRODUCTION, PUSHROD (PP)
        The camshaft shall be located below the cylinder to head deck, andhave push rods that open valves with the use of individual lifters.Paragraph 12.A above is also applicable.
        12. C. PRODUCTION, VINTAGE (PV)
        Same as 12.A but with a production date prior to 1956. Allowableoverbore in this class is + .050- inches over OEM standard bore toremain in displacement class.
        12. D. PRODUCTION, CLASSIC (PC)
        Same as 12.A but with a production date prior to 1981. Allowableoverbore in this class is + .050- inches over OEM standard bore toremain in displacement class."

[IMG]file:///page49image14536[/IMG]

Comment

Hmm, I just looked at the rule book again, and from what I see, under engine classes, PC equals "Production Classic", not pushrods? The reason for my questions is I have always wanted to give Bonneville a try.... and since I own a bunch of GS1100e bikes already, just kinda looking for the softest records. Here is the copy and paste of what see..

"ENGINE BY CLASSIFICATION All classes, with the exception of Diesel (D, DB) Solar/Electric (W) andOther Propulsion (X) shall use motorcycle engines. A motorcycle engineis defined as any engine that was specifically designed for use in amotorcycle.
          12. A. PRODUCTION (P)
          Use the same engines (gasoline only) originally installed in thespecific motorcycle frame at the time of production and ensure itmeets the definition set in the ‘P’ frame class (See Chapter 4).Original equipment (OEM) shall include cylinders, cases(crankcases), heads, and carburation or throttle body (stock venturisize), kick-starter or electric starter. Displacement determines theclass. OEM displacement specifications must remain stock.
          GASOLINE ONLY. Fuel not permitted in this class. See Chapter 2,paragraph 2.F.
          P engine class shall not run in M, MPS, A, APS or S frame classes

12. B. PRODUCTION, PUSHROD (PP)
          The camshaft shall be located below the cylinder to head deck, andhave push rods that open valves with the use of individual lifters.Paragraph 12.A above is also applicable.
          12. C. PRODUCTION, VINTAGE (PV)
          Same as 12.A but with a production date prior to 1956. Allowableoverbore in this class is + .050- inches over OEM standard bore toremain in displacement class.
          12. D. PRODUCTION, CLASSIC (PC)
          Same as 12.A but with a production date prior to 1981. Allowableoverbore in this class is + .050- inches over OEM standard bore toremain in displacement class."

[IMG]file:///page49image14536[/IMG]
          Correct, there is a production engine classification. It only pairs withproduction frame to my knowledge. Which leaves you veryrestricted on modifications.

You should absolutely come and give the 1350 P-PC records a try with a gs1100. You'll make the record with a totally stock bike if you just half-ass some carb tuning. There's a record in place and it's low. Our buddy Fran set it and he was offering to lend us a stock bike for us to put our stock engine in after he saw we went 141 with it. We are more interested in sticking to the modified frame and Classic gasoline/fuel engine designations, as we would like to continue development of our bike and push the records in our classes higher.

Come out next year with a stock bike!! It's a blast, you won't regret it!

-Len
          Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevef. View Post
            Correct, there is a production engine classification. It only pairs withproduction frame to my knowledge. Which leaves you veryrestricted on modifications.

You should absolutely come and give the 1350 P-PC records a try with a gs1100. You'll make the record with a totally stock bike if you just half-ass some carb tuning. There's a record in place and it's low. Our buddy Fran set it and he was offering to lend us a stock bike for us to put our stock engine in after he saw we went 141 with it. We are more interested in sticking to the modified frame and Classic gasoline/fuel engine designations, as we would like to continue development of our bike and push the records in our classes higher.

Come out next year with a stock bike!! It's a blast, you won't regret it!

-Len
            Well, this might give you an indication of the potential of a 1980-81 GS1100e, in a naked or un-faired class. This was one of the bikes for sale as a pair, being sold by the original owner, I posted earlier this summer to this thread and the bikes for sale thread. I guess this would be called P-P and MP-MP for current bikes like the Hayabusa and ZX14? His speed records of 151 mph and 156 mph for a naked bike on the salt, and at that elevation and temp, is still pretty darn good even by today's standards.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, this might give you an indication of the potential of a 1980-81 GS1100e, in a naked or un-faired class. This was one of the bikes for sale as a pair, being sold by the original owner, I posted earlier this summer to this thread and the bikes for sale thread. I guess this would be called P-P and MP-MP for current bikes like the Hayabusa and ZX14? His speed records of 151 mph and 156 mph for a naked bike on the salt, and at that elevation and temp, is still pretty darn good even by today's standards.
              Yes, there is a lot of potential in these bikes, which is why we bought one and raced one! There's no frame class of MP or engine class of MP. These are all the possible frame classes and engine classes. Our 7-11 frankenbike won't ever fit in a P frame class, and P engine class is only for P frame classes.... so, for the bike that we built, we won't be doing any P stuff. M class only, or maybe A if we want to do something really radical as far as frame building one day, but I know we are focusing on M frame for the foreseeable future.
              Untitled.jpg

Comment

Looks like next year we will be bringing a new person onto the team. Landspeedrich has offered to bring a built engine to the table for 2019! We should be going significantly faster next year!

Comment

Originally posted by stevef. View Post
                  Looks like next year we will be bringing a new person onto the team. Landspeedrich has offered to bring a built engine to the table for 2019! We should be going significantly faster next year!
                  That's a nice developement. Keep us informed as time goes on.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Len and Kord!

great job on getting to the sand and actually getting some time on track! I know it has been wet a few years and events were cancelled. That’s freaking amazing you guys were able to do a feat few have accomplished.

i think you guys are doing pretty good for the setup. The sand can be tricky. I have an 1978 gs1000, that’s pretty much stock save for a few things. It has a 4-1 exhaust and open intake. I worked the chassis over a bit, put it into altered class with dropseat. I raced with the ECTA and did the flying mile when it was in Ohio. We did it two years and had so much fun. Was able to set two records in the naked classes, M/G and A/G-1000 4. It was 135 and change and 137 and change.

Were shooting to get the 150 license but only got a total of 4 passes in the two events, huge entry list back then. my goal with the bike was to take it to the sand and get the 135 club, I thought the bike would fair well with some tuning to get 135mph.

anyway I wanted to chime in to another old dinosaur engine (nickname for the gs) racing!

good luck and have fun and be safe (my words to all speed chasers)

and remember land speed racers love to “stay on it longer!!”

Comment

Working...
                    X