Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any other compatible seat pans for an 82 GS650G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any other compatible seat pans for an 82 GS650G?

My seat pan is badly rusted out, it buckles when I sit on it, sadly I'm finding a significant lack of seats for my model. Are there other seats from other models that will fit my frame?

Thanks!

I'd like to say there are many, but I can't. This is one of the common questions here with few answers, mainly because the seats are different even between bikes of the same marque..ie: a 650 GL has a different seat than the "normal" G . Mostly to do with how it comes down to meet sidecovers and L's have a hump on the back (so passenger can see over?) oh well-
    You might size up an 850's seat but that's a mere guess on my part.

Perhaps you can hold yours together with fibreglass. OR make a new pan from the old with fibreglass (use waxpaper as a mold release) -likely what i would do without a really good scrapyard ...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      Perhaps you can hold yours together with fibreglass. OR make a new pan from the old with fiberglass (use waxpaper as a mold release) -likely what i would do without a really good scrapyard ...
      This is looking to be my best option if ebay doesn't pull through, my fiber experience is absolutely zero sadly. This will have to wait till fall since I'd prefer to ride for as long as I can while there's no snow here.

Comment

Unfortunately, no, the 650G is unique in a few ways, this being one of them. I'm not even 100% sure the different model years are completely interchangeable.

What is available on EBay right now is not very good, at the prices being asked.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I know Corbin has pans for the 1100G and the 500E, do you know if there's anyone else that makes pans?

Comment

I haven't seen just the pan, but there was a company in middle-America that had complete seats for the 650. They listed them as for the G, but I suspect they were really for the E. Haven't seen them on EBay in awhile, however.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              They listed them as for the G, but I suspect they were really for the E.
              I hate the risk of shopping online without guarantees anyway, I might be able to make an adapter in the worst case but would rather not for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                This is looking to be my best option if ebay doesn't pull through, my fiber experience is absolutely zero sadly. This will have to wait till fall since I'd prefer to ride for as long as I can while there's no snow here.
                ...hopefully a different option will appear for you then...maybe some aluminum flashing or straps could be built on it from bottom- I'd use self-tapping screws rather than rivets. ....various ways possible ...if not elegant. try to Check fit to frame before adding anything permanent = a reason to use screws. If cushion comes off, you could do this under it rather than on bottom.

as to Fibreglass-it is costly in small kits...(sigh)-But good fibreglassing really requires room temperatures...and for most of us, it's necessary to do it outdoors...It STINKS- It's MESSY! but it's really not hard to do , simple tools required, and really fast....with these Safety Headlines...do not get hardener anywhere near your eyes, wear disposable gloves..fibreglass edges cut and pierce (snip off when half cured is easiest)
                Tip-use matt to create your mould. It conforms to any shape.. then "cloth" over for strength. use unwaxed resin...doesn't need wax removal between layups etc etc

AND remove the foam from your seat first -usually comes off easy for re-use....styrenes is Resin eats common seat foam...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  You might size up an 850's seat but that's a mere guess on my part. ...
                  I'd say your guessing is not very good today. I can guarantee that an 850 will NOT fit on a 650.

I did a comparison some time ago on the L versions of both bikes. I had an '82 650L and an '82 850L here for instant comparison.

Let's see if my Photobucket is still working:

The Saddlemen double bucket is from my wife's 850L, the stock seat is from my son's 650L

Here is the stock 650 seat on the 650

Here is the 850 seat on the 650

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

.... but they actually look really close!... I mean, tank-to-seat angle is wrong but do the knobs theat hold front of seat fit? and the lock at rear?

If so, that seems waaay ahead of most mismatches...where the above are not even the same mounting system..vinyl pans versus metal, locking seat versus bolt on , room for coils versus none...and between these above, they even seem to suit the sidecovers... both being "L" sidecovers...

Comment

Thanks for the tips! You're really helping me out allot this summer Gorminrider! I might be getting access to a full shop over the winter months so we'll see where that leads.

and Steve thanks for the comparison, they do look quite close... Possibly close enough to MacGyver, and that double bucket looks very comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                      X