Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just nabbed a mint 99 marauder. stock pipes are WAY to quiet

hey there.

so i couldnt pass up this deal and nabbed a mint stock 99 marauder with 5700 original miles.

the exhaust is so quiet on it i cant hear it at times in my helmet. this, needs to be solved.

anyone have experience with the older marauders?

any reason why i cant take a 2 foot long drill bit thats the proper size and go it down the center of the baffle? ive read this is a cheap diy mod to louden it up and sound a bit deeper.

also the tip guard has 3 rivets holding a chrome cover on. i was really hoping they made it easy and that if you drilled them out that the baffle might be a removable one, anyone with insight on that?

20170721_191547.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2017, 08:01 PM. Reason: photo

Sorry, but you won't get a whole lot of support here concerning making your bike louder.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sell it and buy a Harley.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

dont know why that would be. seems like you imply that everyone hates on loud pipes? or is it just everyone is such a purist that drilling baffles is like nails on a chalk board?

personally i dont want straight pipes or anything i just think that a cager should be able to hear my engine if i rev it. loud pipes occasionally save lives.

Comment

loud pipes **** people off and make you no friends.Nor do they get you "positive" attention. Quite the contrary...99% of the people that hear you will think youre a freaking douchebag.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Loud pipes suck, nearly as badly as the laws that tolerate them. Other than that, I guess they're OK, as long as they're far, far away from me.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

people seem to think i want something straight piped. to clarify again im trying to make them slightly louder. like gain 5-10 db maybe?

am i to believe everyone that has posted has stock pipes on every bike they owned? because NOT EVERY TIME but i would argue that a good portion of the time anything not stock is louder then stock pipes. and not every time but given the bike lists in the signatures im just hedging my bet that one of them in the entire list wasnt stock pipes.

now if anyone wants to maybe even try phrasing it in a helpful way such as steve basicly did thats fine. i dont mind you saying "hey ive heard those bikes before they sound not bad man how come you want to go changing it?" or maybe even "your going to regret doing that man, ive had loud bikes before and it's nice for a short ride but the 1st highway ride for more then 1 tank of gas your going to hate it"

BUT

unhelpful comments about such as selling it and buying a harley or presuming to know what every person who hears a louder then stock bike goes by thinks is stupid, please take your unwanted comments elsewhere and try having some respect for differing opinions then your own.

Comment

I have 11 bikes and all have thier stock pipes unmolested. Why?? Because the loud pipes save lives thing is just a justification to be rude and inconsiderate to those that have to share youre environment while you are being obnoxious. I have much more "respect" for myself and those around me to behave that way. Thats why. And I will post as i see the subject matter being discussed...thank you very much.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by boredinmemind View Post
                  take your unwanted comments elsewhere and try having some respect for differing opinions then your own.
                  How can one have respect for another opinion about making loud obnoxious noise ? Hey ! I like firecrackers ! Im gonna light them off in front of your house while your taking a nap. Dont go crackin on my firecracker opinion......
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Loud pipes-especially on V-Twins-truly suck.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

would you like a cookie for your stock exhausts? or maybe one for that humble brag of mention that you have 11, count it boys, 11 mother f'in bikes. does this somehow qualify you as being an expert on the social ramifications of a loud exhaust?

and ok, lets say im doing it to be obnoxious, (kind of like you arguing with me when im just trying to find some information) who cares? is there a law against being obnoxious? making laws to protect peoples sensibilities or to not offend is ridiculous.

and to reiterate AGAIN, i dont care about politely phrased helpful comments. but calling me a "douchebag" in indirect terms is anything but respectful.

any further comments in this manner show me your unwilling to cooperate in the spirit of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                        How can one have respect for another opinion about making loud obnoxious noise ? Hey ! I like firecrackers ! Im gonna light them off in front of your house while your taking a nap. Dont go crackin on my firecracker opinion......
                        just fyi, if you did, i would come out and enjoy them with you. i love fireworks.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Loud pipes-especially on V-Twins-truly suck.
                          THIS GUY. thankyou for posting your politely phrased opinion.

and i agree to a point. i dont want it too loud, just louder then it currently is. and drilling or modifying the baffles seems like the cheapest way. which is why i was asking about it.

Comment

Put an aftermarket on and keep the mint ones mint.
                            I have two identical 1100's and one is stock and a po drilled the other one out. I wish he hadn't because there's no going back to being mint.
                            Alan

sigpic
                            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

No..it makes me someone thats grown up and doesnt find the need for outside attention to validate myself. This may..or may not be you personally...but it seems to be the over riding desire for attention seekers.

Having grown up around the Harley crowds and a few outlaw biker clubs, i see theres a need for the weak to gather in crowds, be offendingly obnoxious, and then get pizzzzed off when they are confronted about it. In have had many try to recruit me to join the clubs and their ways but i decided i should grow up and be my own man that doesnt need validation from anyone but myself.

You breached the subject and are getting the cold hard blunt truth handed to you so deal with it Junior. cant take the flames then at the top under ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS you can find the option to delete this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X