just nabbed a mint 99 marauder. stock pipes are WAY to quiet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
    Wow. Over exhaust noise? I haven't seen this side of my forum buddies. I have 2 really quiet ones and 2 really loud ones. Haven't saved a life yet.
    According to some, if you are alive enough to post this, YOUR life has evidently been saved.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by glib View Post
      The subject of obnoxious noise reminded me of a thread on earplugs. Some like to hear their exhaust along with everything else. Some, like me, like to avoid damaged hearing. You hadn't commented so I was curious.
      Yes, I do enjoy a pleasing exhaust note, but I don't go for a ride just so I can hear it. Even with my Wing, there are other things that I hear that are so much more important. I do not appreciate a quiet exhaust for the purpose of preventing hearing damage, as I will not be around it long enough for that to happen. It's just obnoxious, and only feeds the negative attitude the general public has about motorcyclists in general.

sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Yes, I do enjoy a pleasing exhaust note, but I don't go for a ride just so I can hear it. Even with my Wing, there are other things that I hear that are so much more important. I do not appreciate a quiet exhaust for the purpose of preventing hearing damage, as I will not be around it long enough for that to happen. It's just obnoxious, and only feeds the negative attitude the general public has about motorcyclists in general.

Agreed. BTW, the hearing damage I was referencing is the ringing I get from wind noise after a long ride. I really just like the comfort of having annoying noise filtered out.
        sigpic
        1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
        1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
        1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
        On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
        All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Just curious, was it discussions like this that caused TIA to quit GSR?
          Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Canary View Post
            Just curious, was it discussions like this that caused TIA to quit GSR?
            Who or What is "TIA"?

The only "TIA" that comes to mind is Thanks In Advance, but that doesn't seem to fit.

This is why I really hate TLAs.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

I think mine were V&H and were straight through pipes. They were on it when I purchased it second hand. They were so loud. I liked them at the beginning but soon got sick of the noise and attention I was getting. Sold the bike after a couple of years.
              Attached Files
              GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
              1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
              1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                You do need to back it down several notches.
                Second Pilot here. I've been down this road when I first joined, just do your own thing and don't look for justification or support on that matter... People on here can get malicious (and come on guys to say some don't is blatant fallacy). If it really just ****es you off, delete the first post of your thread and everything is gone... It's great! Only way your going to endure here is stay polite and courteous even if some are anything but. It sucks but I have acquired so many good tips, trick and most importantly GREAT FRIENDS from this forum. Just allot of $hit weeds to work through. Just keep humble and don't throw jabs at good folks. Stick around you'll see who is worth listening to and who's not.

Time for my 2 cents:

Loud pipes don't save lives, here's a great read: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...pes-save-lives

If you just accept the fact your only making the bike louder because you want to make it louder then I'll listen. I use to think the same thing, life is just so much better when your honest with yourself and are consciously truthful on why you do things. If you want to be safe, throw on some High Viz or some Aux lights... You want to be loud then gut your pipes.

I love loud bikes, mine are obnoxious, as the forum's perpetual 5 year old I like the noise and I'm border line an A$$hat when I ride with people. But I'm not going to justify my pipes by "being safe". I do it because I love the noise! Hell what others think I do my own thing. F the mold!

Anyway I have a pipe at home I made just to destroy baffles with, I too don't like straight pipes but I do like the noise. I have hammered out a couple of exhausts in the past just to open it up some to get a more deep exhaust tone. I have a slip on the XG-A and I love the sound! My TU has a slip on as well. The ZG1400 has a full on ZX-14 racing Yoshi system, that is not quiet. But you ride a MOTOR-cycle so yeah I get it, you should be able to hear the motor. I love a bike that has a nice system on it but I hate straight pipes... Guess I am a bit of a exhuast snob .

The main benefit (for me) when I put a louder exhuast on is usually because I'm chasing performance. Lighter pipes mean lighter more agile bikes. Sometimes you can grab some serious HP from systems. My ZG1400 gained allot of beans after the larger diameter full exhuast was installed with the re-flash. It won't run well at WOT on the tiny stock pipes anymore with the current fueling setup. My stock muffler for the XG-A is double the weight of the D&D slip on. The slip on for the TU is 1/3 of the stock muffler (which also has the catylists in it)

Anyway the Bafflectomey looks like a solid plan for your bike. I really like how that bike sounds now. Worth a shot.

I think stock pipes suck... Not just for noise but for weight and flow as well...
                Last edited by Jedz123; 07-26-2017, 02:25 PM.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Congratulations to the OP, you reeled in some big ones with that stinky bait.

Comment

Justin the problem arrived as soon as members jump on some comment about loud straight pipes, when the OP was just asking about making the existing baffles a little louder. From there everybody stated handing advice out their south ends, without actually looking at what the OP was asking for. The OP could have handled it better, but to me he tried.

I don't know who TIA is, but I've seen people leave GSR for these kind of negative unnecessary responses. I'm guilty of doing it along time ago, but we were just ribbing the guy(he bought a chopper looking GS), not being azzhats that happens too often here. He didn't see it that way.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I get passed by loud bikes in my cage sometimes (seems like the loud ones can't catch the suzuki). Inevitably I cannot hear them until they are even with the mirrors, causing me to jump in alarm and do unpredictable things (such as swerve into them). But i guess people have to tell themselves whatever it takes to justify things. Just out of curiousity, do you think helmets will snap your neck in a crash? those two wisdoms seem to go hand in hand pretty frequently.....
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Btw those motors are notorious for jumping timing. Good luck.
                        2010 Honda VFR1200F
                        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                        Being Revisited
                        1981 Honda CM400T
                        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Boy..quite the thread. I have 6 bikes (not bragging, just using them as an example) and two of them have stock exhaust. My Goldwing, which is whisper quiet, and I love that about it, and my CX500 Turbo, which has a nice note when on full boil but otherwise very quiet. My other bikes all have headers, a Kerker on my 550F and a Yosh race pipe on the GS1000. Neither of them are obnoxious unless you're at or above 6,000 rpm , then they stand the hair on your arms up. What I've noticed in the past is, that when you pass someone in a car at those rpm's..it scares the holy living crap out of them. They don't hear it until you go by. I'm sure you've seen these cars that jerk to the shoulder when being passed, and wonder why, unless it happens to you while in your car..it's almost involuntary. I used to pass aggressively in my early years cause I didn't give a sh-t, but having been on that side being passed by either a sport bike, or a Harley..that made me change my ways. I pass now only when I know I can ease by w/o full throttle so I can do my best not to startle the car's driver. It's, to me, the courteous thing to do. If anything you're not saving lives, but putting others in danger by having loud pipes in that situation.

I still have zero respect for anyone at anytime who feels it's necessary to open a throttle wide open while going through a tunnel. Seems to be the favorite behavior for most Harley riders.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I have 2 1/2 " pipes on my 64 dodge. just after the header collectors I installed electric cut outs that dump just behind the doors. fun on the highway. also have flame throwers hooked up on the dump pipes. Loud pipes are just loud unless you add fire... I do not have any silencers on my chambers on the rd's or any packing in the chambers on the H1 . Like the ping ping of the two stroke. I do not ride these at night as my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it. nothing worse then a badly tuned bike with loud pipe...My GS1100 has stock pipes . I like them as they are quite , with no drone .
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X