GS1100 runs out of fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 runs out of fuel

I have a GS1100L that was built into a café bike. It has an original vacuum type fuel petcock and original carbs with pod filters. At times the bike will simply run out of gas. When you come to a stop and wait the carbs will eventually refill and you can ride. If the bike sits it may start fine but you never know when the issue will happen again. Any thought will be helpful.

Chris M.
    The goal of life isn't to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body. It's to slide in sideways, screaming and yelling "Hell yeah! What a ride"!

Purchasing a new factory Suzuki petcock is a good place to start.

Have the carbs been rejetted properly to account for the pods?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had something similar happen with my 750. When I stopped quickly the engine would die but it would start right up. A few months later my petcock failed and I ended up with gas in the oil so I was forced to replace it. When I did it solved the stalling issue.........
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

It's a relatively simple system...gas in must equal gas out, or you either flood, or get fuel starved. Either way, the problem is more likely to be on the tank (petcock) side of the carburetor. Collapsed/blocked fuel line, failing (to open) petcock being the two most likely scenario.

As Ed mentioned, a mismatch between fuel delivery and fuel needs could lead to fuel starvation, but I would think you'd notice that more often than just occasionally.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Might also be the gas cap is not venting properly. Next time it happens, quickly open the gas cap and see if you hear a vacuum sound. If so, try riding it without the gas cap installed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            Might also be the gas cap is not venting properly. Next time it happens, quickly open the gas cap and see if you hear a vacuum sound. If so, try riding it without the gas cap installed.
            Always forget about that one.

Also inside the tank...there should be a filter that sits on top of the petcock, and it can clog up with fine particles of rust.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Check your petcock for correct operation.
              Try this... remove both lines from petcock: get some clear vinyl tubing that fits snugly on petcock vacuum fitting. In "on" and "res" fuel,show flow when you suck on this tubing- otherwise it should not. Any signs of fuel in the tubing means the petcock diaphragm is likely leaking.maybe just when bike is running but maybe at alltimes.
              Look for a good flow of fuel in "on"
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Does it have an in line fuel filter? If so that may slow fuel flow.
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I wanna see a pic of the cafe'd L.....please.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    I wanna see a pic of the cafe'd L.....please.
                    Be patient.

He's a newbie, probably does not realize that this is a fast-moving forum, where you can get a dozen answers in a few hours (or much less).

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                      Does it have an in line fuel filter? If so that may slow fuel flow.
                      You beat me to it. Most (all?) of the petcocks have an in-tank screen. I had an '82 GS850 that had identical symptoms; a screen-ectomy solved the problem 100%.
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                      X