Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a fuel tank from a GS450L fit on a GS450S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I'm putting on a custom seat, so I don't mean that part. I just wander if it fits on the frame without modifying the frame?

Niclas

Edit:
    ...and while we're at it: Does anyone know if a GN150 tank fits on the GS450S?

The 450L and 450S use different mounts at the front of the tank. The mounts on the frame are farther away from the steering stem on the L, because of the smaller tank.

No clue on the GN150 tank.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

So the tank will sit too far forward, but it will at least slide down in place on the frame?

Comment

I've never bothered trying to swap tank from E to T Usually, people want to go the other way- E tank to T or L bike for "cafe" look. This is difficult too. The T coils sit higher and must be cut off their mounts to fit under an E tank...plus the rear bolts don't match. T tank has two

given Steve's tip-which is a good catch I never noticed!-but to look at yesterday, I think handlebars (ADD later-actually stanchions might!) will hit smash T or L tank, given Steve's tip....I actually have both bikes E and T as 400 "GSX" versions same tanks as 450...they are also different as to bolts mounting rear.... The T or L tank has the tap mounted further forward too, but that's not likely a big deal...but given tank moved forward, that would change it.

Anyways, these'll give you some things to check carefully before buying the T or L tank. You maybe can still get it on there expect mods WILL be required.
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-31-2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

One of the reasons for the L's smaller tank was for styling, of course. The other was to accomodate styling of the forks. "Choppers" were the big thing back then, and choppers had longer forks, so Suzuki offered an illusion of longer forks by placing the axle in front of the forks and extending the tubes below the axle. Since moving the wheel forward would upset the steering geometry, they played some tricks at the top of the forks. The triple clamps are usuall offset a bit, putting the fork tubes ahead of the steering stem. Suzuki straightened out that angle, which basically amounted to leaving the wheel in the stock location, but pulling the fork tubes back a bit, which did not change the wheelbase (much), did not change the rake or the trail. That means that the L bikes should handle about the same as an E or a T, but they are so much more awkward to sit on and hang on to, it appears to handle differently.

To accomodate the fork tubes that were pulled back, the smaller teardrop-shaped tank was also mounted farther back, so the forks would not hit the front edge. The T bikes were designed as a lighter-weight commuter bike that did not have all the farkles of the E bikes, so they only had a single disk brake at the front, a drum brake at the rear, different sprockets to lower engine speed for commuting mileage (at the expense of acceleration found in the 'sport' bikes), and a smaller tank, which kept them a bit lighter. Therefore, the T bikes have the smaller tank, but the front axle is in-line with the forks, so there <might> be room to install the larger tank.

Yes, the L tank might slip on, but you will have to fabricate something to mount the rear. Might be just as easy to relocate the front mounts to fit the tank that you want.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Many thanks for your answers.

I decided to buy a tank from a GN250. I'll try to remember to post the results

Comment

ahh. Well, too late to help but I went out and had a look per Steve's info as to forward frame mounts...indeed they are different ... The T's stick out more too.They are on stalks and they are obviously welded add ons to the base frame, because provision does still exist to mount something like the E's mounts I can see it there... Both use the same round rubber pad.
              The receptacles for these ON the tank seem to be about the same general location on the tank itself EXCEPT the T's receptacles are at a greater offing from the frame because the "tunnel" is quite a bit wider. (As per "stalks" mentioned above) I begin to suspect this tank went on other bikes too..perhaps the 550 L? which is super similar to look at in pictures I see....
              Again, I am trusting that your US 450 's are truly the same frame and body bits as they do appear to we who live in the parallel northern universe ...

Oh well- yes- report back. People are often needing a tank swap ...
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I got the GN250 tank now. It does not fit at all. The frame on the GS450 is about 140mm wide, and the opening in the GN250 tank is only about 85mm. Now my hopes stand to the tank that my brother ordered from a GP125. On the pics it looks much wider underneath than the GN250 tank. If the measurements fits my bike maybe my brother wants to swap. He's putting it on a DR400 -82. Pics on my scrambler blog >>
                Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2017, 07:02 AM. Reason: Added link to pics

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  One of the reasons for the L's smaller tank was for styling, of course. The other was to accomodate styling of the forks. "Choppers" were the big thing back then, and choppers had longer forks, so Suzuki offered an illusion of longer forks by placing the axle in front of the forks and extending the tubes below the axle. Since moving the wheel forward would upset the steering geometry, they played some tricks at the top of the forks. The triple clamps are usuall offset a bit, putting the fork tubes ahead of the steering stem. Suzuki straightened out that angle, which basically amounted to leaving the wheel in the stock location, but pulling the fork tubes back a bit, which did not change the wheelbase (much), did not change the rake or the trail. That means that the L bikes should handle about the same as an E or a T, but they are so much more awkward to sit on and hang on to, it appears to handle differently.

To accomodate the fork tubes that were pulled back, the smaller teardrop-shaped tank was also mounted farther back, so the forks would not hit the front edge. The T bikes were designed as a lighter-weight commuter bike that did not have all the farkles of the E bikes, so they only had a single disk brake at the front, a drum brake at the rear, different sprockets to lower engine speed for commuting mileage (at the expense of acceleration found in the 'sport' bikes), and a smaller tank, which kept them a bit lighter. Therefore, the T bikes have the smaller tank, but the front axle is in-line with the forks, so there <might> be room to install the larger tank.

Yes, the L tank might slip on, but you will have to fabricate something to mount the rear. Might be just as easy to relocate the front mounts to fit the tank that you want.

As far as I know, the E bikes only had a single disc and drum rear; the T front brake is the same as is the rear. Some Ts had the old DLS drum from the T500 era fitted which works surprisingly well, if somewhat less linear and smooth. The sprockets were either a 43 or 45 rear depending upon year more than model and the fat 17/skinny 18 rear tire ended up the same diameter anyway. The difference in tank weight is immaterial; capacity and shape also varies on Ts between 82 and 83 but may well be slightly less than the Es.

Having run both, I lost all interest in the E models except for looking at them. The T's were fitted with what appears to be the 850 handlebar, which heads rearward way too much for a far shorter bike/tank. Even if you like pullback bars, this isn't the right one unless you 4"11". It was a screwup born of economic expediency and misguided styling cues, but the bars from the original 400 of the late 70's fix it promptly, and the same bend is readily available from outfits like Emgo. Okay, I'm opinionated, but now you know my opinion.

It's been a while since I've ridden a twin with the cast wheels, as I put early GS400 ones on mine [cast wheel 82'] and my buddies' 83 T has the spoke and front drum as stock. It may be an illusion, but those cast ones always seemed much heavier handling and built for a heavier bike. It would be interesting to know the weight difference, but it's really the weight out at the rim that matters rather than the hub, and how do you separate the two. OTOH, the cast wheels are hard to kill and don't rust, and you can run tubeless if you are creative and not spooked about the lack of safety beads.

I'm not sure what farkles the Ts lacked, unless you got the bikini fairing ES model.
                  Last edited by John Park; 08-25-2017, 11:43 AM.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                  X