Bizarre, funky issue when rolling up to a stoplight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, get rid of the fuel filter
    And, take pictures before, during and after you take something apart. Digital photos are a godsend for a beginner (and, us old guys)
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you so much. I took the petcock off and disassembled it and soaked it all in gas and gave it a scrub. It was very dirty and gritty. It looks like the previous owner put the diaphram on wrong and one of the edge holes where it loops around the screw was been folded over. I put it all back together and tested the air flow with my mouth and it still feels not right but alas I have no reference, so tomorrow I'll put everything back together, and put the right vacuum hose on the petcock. When I replace the fuel line (upon further inspection is cracked slightly) I'll omit the cone fuel thingy.

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
      It appears that you have the vacuum line in your hand in the first photo looking at carburetor 3. Put that on the petcock vacuum line. Get rid of that junk setup with the fuel filter. It's just restricting fuel flow. Your petcock has a more than adequate filter screen in the fuel tank. That line should go directly from petcock to fuel T. That may solve your problems in that respect, but proper jetting may be your next concern.

Comment

Well hot damn! I followed those steps and the bike fired right up as usual, but the problem is gone! And now, when I coast with the clutch in in any gear, the RPM actually dip down to 1K, which it never previously did. Thanks for the tip about the vacuum hose, no one else could solve that.

Except now, since reconnecting the petcock, there's a very bad drip coming out of I believe the 2 screws holding the petcock to the tank. The O-Ring gasket inside seems perfectly fine, perhaps all the grit and metal particles were causing a sort of seal, but I was cursing up a storm as I really do not like draining my gas tank twice in 24 hours. So I got a little morsel of properly running bike, but alas, it's back into pieces as I try and figure out what the hell to do now.

ALSO, I noticed when the petcock was re-assembled that there were two notches filed/scratched into the petcock at 45 degree angles from RES and ON, and ON and PRI. When I set the petcock there, it blew air through fine. I think these are the ACTUAL spots where there's flow. I am really wondering what the previous owners did to this bike, as I' discovering more and more as I go. Maybe they replaced a part from a different bike, but who knows.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Ok
        You have the vent hose connected to the petcock
        Connect the hose from #3 to the petcock and see what happens

Comment

The petcock requires washers on the bolts that have a seal. You can still order them from OEM sources. Be careful with them because the seal is directly against the threads.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Post up some pictures of what you have there.
            You have now discovered the joy of working on old bikes. Previous Owner Syndrome
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X