Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch not disengaging completely after rear tire change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch not disengaging completely after rear tire change.

On my 1981 gs650g the clutch will not completely disengage. If i start it in first with the clutch in it will lurch and stall. It will start in neutral but if i shift to first it stalls even with the clutch in. I noticed that after putting the rear wheel back on there was a slight gap in between the shaft and the wheel, and am wondering if that may be part of the problem. Thanks so much!
    Attached Files

Can you roll it in neutral? Did the bike move before changing the tire or had it sat for a long time? Just asking as if it sat for a long time the clutch plates may be stuck together. They can be broken loose by raising the rpms up to 2 or 3K in neutral then popping it in first. Yamaha's seem to be prone to this for some reason. We've had an FZ6, YZF450 and a VStar 650 all have this problem.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I can roll it in neutral, and the bike drove fine before the tire change. I'll try popping it into gear though. I can also somewhat roll it in first with the clutch in it there is a lot of resistance.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

The clutch lever arm is likely in wrong spot. See attached pic.. note angle of arm. In this spot,you need a maximum of image.jpg bout 1/4 inch of travel before you feel resistance- any more and clutch cable won't have enough travel to release plates.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you, I'll check this as soon as I get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by thevoidfox View Post
            I can roll it in neutral, and the bike drove fine before the tire change. I'll try popping it into gear though. I can also somewhat roll it in first with the clutch in it there is a lot of resistance.
            That resistance is probably the engine trying to turn along with it. Has it been sitting?
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              The clutch lever arm is likely in wrong spot. See attached pic.. note angle of arm. In this spot,you need a maximum of [ATTACH=CONFIG]52109[/ATTACH] bout 1/4 inch of travel before you feel resistance- any more and clutch cable won't have enough travel to release plates.
              Why would that have been effected by a tire change?
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                Why would that have been effected by a tire change?
                It wouldn't!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I got home and started it up, and it just worked, there was a little slack in the clutch cable so I adjusted that and now it's running perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                  X