Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork identifications please

Dear all,

I am restoring my trusty old '79 GS850, and now the front fork are up for an overhaul. I was going to order a rebuild kit and some spares, but my forks do not look as they should, according to the micro fiches available with the various sparepart dealers.

Main concern is that I was expecting a top cap like this:

https://goo.gl/images/tcCA3R

But my top cap look like this.

IMG_3351.JPG

All the GS850 Fork rebuild instructions I have found includes adding pressure to the fork, but I wouldnt know how to do that with the current hardware.

I am thinking that a previous owner might have replaced all or parts of the fork with parts from another model. At first I thought it was from an 78 GS750, but according to the micro fich, that bike has a solid nut in the top of the fork leg. Not one with with a screw insert that I have.

Can you please help me identify the fork on these pictures. (if it's not too Frankenstein)

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Please let me know if any measurements could help with the detective work

Thank you

Best, Michael

you probably have the right front fork.

There were 2 models, one with air assist, one without.
    You are better off with that one, the air assisted fork is harder to get right.

Oil seals are the same.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hi Rijko,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Is it just the top cap that's different?

My inner tubes are quite pitted with rust and the bottom bracket is also quite worn. Can I replace them with any other GS850 parts, or could/should I look towards other bikes for spares?

BR Michael

Comment

hi Michael

the caps have a different diameter, so caps and inner tubes are a pair.
        Not sure what you mean by bottom brackets but if you mean the lower fork legs,
        look for another fork.

Parts are still available but the price of parts and/or re-hardchroming the old inner tubes
        exceeds the price of a nice other fork big time.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hi Rijko,

With bottom bracket I was wrongfully referring to this guy:

https://goo.gl/images/vx17y7

Axel holder seems to be the correct term. The one listed is readily available, and used on a lot of different forks, so hopefully it also fits my special "airless" fork.

Thanks a lot for your help, Rijko.

Highly appreciated

BR Michael

Comment

Originally posted by DKGS850 View Post
            But my top cap look like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52119[/ATTACH]

All the GS850 Fork rebuild instructions I have found includes adding pressure to the fork, but I wouldnt know how to do that with the current hardware.
            That is the same cap that my 82 1100E has. The screw is for spring preload adjustment. Do the inner tubes have a small hole through them about 7"-8" down from the cap? That is where air is added on my 1100E.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
            X