Owned just about everything else. Finally trying a GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owned just about everything else. Finally trying a GS1000

I found this 1978 GS1000E (skunk) on Ebay and realized it was very close to me. Made an offer on the bike and I made a deal and bought it. Went to check it out and it was the real deal. About as original as a 40 year old Superbike gets. It's runs decent but I'm sure it needs all the basic fixes these old girls need. I'm very torn between keeping it original or doing a GS1000S clone since that's what I really want but can't afford it.

Any thoughts or comments, as long as they're not mean spirited, are welcome.

Chris

Current other bikes
    2013 HD Streetglide
    1980 GS1000L - custom cafe build

Previous Bikes
    1975 Z1
    1984 GPZ750
    1984 KZ1300
    1979 CBX
    1975 GT750 Water Buffalo
    19?? CX500
    2002 HD Firefighter Roadking
    so many more I can't remember
    Attached Files
    The goal of life isn't to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body. It's to slide in sideways, screaming and yelling "Hell yeah! What a ride"!

Sweet find!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

My question would be "is she all original". My bike has been painted, and the mufflers have been cut off, so I personally don't see an issue with minor mods. If I got one as nice as yours looks, with everything original, I wouldn't be able to bring myself to change it. Especially if the change involved painting, or cutting anything.

Comment

Other than the missing spot on the white stripe i cant see anything wrong. If it were me i would not cut it or do the Cooley clone. maybe at the most have it redone in original paint and decals and be proud as he!! riding it around.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I could not cooley that i would replace the decal you can get them on ebay. nice bike ride safe.

Comment

leave as is, or restore to original. Nice find.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Nice bike. Whatever you do with it when you get it running as it should you will not be disappointed. I didn't restore mine but I made it what I wanted. They make a great sport touring bike.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Welcome aboard Chris. Looks like you found a good start to what ever you decide to build. The Skunks are pretty unique with the indented tanks and tail pieces already but those 1000S's are pretty nice looking too. Can't wait to see the build thread. You going to post a picture of your other Suzuki?
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome. I'm glad that bike found a good home. It had been for sale for a while.

Personally I'd keep it as a skunk. They are pretty exclusive and cool in their own right.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Welcome aboard Chris. Looks like you found a good start to what ever you decide to build. The Skunks are pretty unique with the indented tanks and tail pieces already but those 1000S's are pretty nice looking too. Can't wait to see the build thread. You going to post a picture of your other Suzuki?

Just saw your reply and realized I never posted a picture of the GS1100L Cafe build.IMG-0272.jpg
                    The goal of life isn't to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body. It's to slide in sideways, screaming and yelling "Hell yeah! What a ride"!

Comment

Did you flip it? Says over here you sold it, or I'm even more confused than usual: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...1000E-For-Sale
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

s-l1600.jpgI guess you can say I "flipped" it. I originally wanted a S but couldn't find one I could afford. I found the Skunk while I was looking for what I thought was a ridiculously low price. I was torn between doing a S clone, restoring it original or just reselling it. I couldn't get what I wanted and ordered a sh!t load of parts to restore it. Then I found a S on Ebay that I could actually afford. I bought that bike and sold this one to support the habit. Here's a picture of my new/used S.

Comment

Onward and upward.... be aware that if they are original S mirrors, they are worth a lot....
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

s-l64.jpgYes I know. It's missing the right side mirror. Any help obtaining one would be greatly appreciated. I also need the upper dash cluster lens (for the fuel, clock, and temp gage), and the shrouds between the dash and fairing.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Onward and upward.... be aware that if they are original S mirrors, they are worth a lot....
                            Last edited by ChrisM; 08-15-2017, 11:18 AM. Reason: add photo

Comment

From the Ebay pics it looks like you found one with a good gas tank which is rare, they tend to rust on the inside especially on the seams.
                              And good looking original exhausts, too and pretty complete.
                              Great find !

Just to get your bike's info in this thread :

Originally posted by ChrisM
                              VIN GS1000-530934
                              Engine# GS1000-148255
                              I would love to own a ST, they are very rare in Europe more so than the SN.
                              (Have several SN myself)

Good luck restoring it.
                              Lots of knowledge on the S on this forum, should you need info.
                              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                              Bikecliff's website
                              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                              X