Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Boots Carburetor Alignment

Hi Everyone,

I have an '82 gs650g. I am having some problems with idle speed and starting. Using the forums I found a lot of helpful information that pointed to the intake boots having air leaks. After testing, I confirmed that, yes, there were leaks.

I ordered new boots and installed them. After about an hour of trying (and a good deal of cursing), I just couldn't get the carbs to line up with the boots. They seem to be out by 1/4" ish no matter how I reconfigure them.

Is there a way to adjust the alignment of the carbs on the mount?

I searched the forums, but am probably am not using the right keywords (carb alignment, carburetor mounts, etc).

Thanks,

Jeff

I am assuming that your carbs fit in the boots that were there before?

Also assuming that you got 2 left boots and 2 right boots?

You ordered OEM boots, part numbers 13110-47010 and 13120-47010?

Let's keep assuming here, you have them all installed with the sync screws pointing down and out?
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

If you never had your carbs in the boots, they might not be the right carbs. In fact, you might still have the wrong carbs, but somebody had installed improper boots to possibly compensate. Now that you have the right boots, the wrong carbs won't fit.

Just a guess.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Datsa,

Not sure about the parts numbers, but did order them and checked for compatibility. Checked before installing, and they look like the same size. 2 each, left and right. Installed with sync screws down. Previous boots and carbs fit.

The individual boots do fit the carbs, it just seems to be the alignment of all together that is off.

Comment

Do you have them on the correct sides? There is an L or R on each boot that should be readable from the top; L is for the left side and R for the right
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Do you have them on the correct sides? There is an L or R on each boot that should be readable from the top; L is for the left side and R for the right
            If the sync screws are pointing down (and out), they have to be on the correct sides.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Sync screws are installed down and out.

Comment

Were the new boots from a parts supplier like parts outlaw, babbits, Z1 enterprises etc. or from a random ebay seller? It is possible they just sent you the wrong boots, no matter who they're from.

I have received someone else's order that was shipped at the same time and the labels got mixed up. Sometimes ebay is like a white elephant exchange.

Contact the seller and see if they goofed.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I did order them online, and yes it was ebay (Cruisin Image). The product was titled 81-83 SUZUKI GS650 INTAKE SET INSULATOR 4 INTAKES CLAMPS O-RINGS 21-47010INBT. The part numbers don't match those listed above, but I measured each one, and they are the same size.

I will try a lubricant and see if that works.

Let you know.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Comment

I really hope you get things to work. A hair dryer or heat gun really helps soften them up.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The good news; I used some silicone spray and got the carbs into the boots.

The bad news; I couldn't get them to stay in. Even when I had partially tightened the clamps, they came out.

I don't think I am getting them seated deep enough.

I guess I will move on to the strap method.

Comment

I was wondering if there might be a difference between the 650E and 650G boots, but the part numbers are the same.

Comment

Well, after another hour of trying to wrestle the carbs back on, I decided to check the carbs for ID; you know, just to be sure!

My service manual indicates an ID number 34200. The carbs I have are ID number 34300.

Could this be part of the problem?

Off to the "Sticky" to dig deeper.

Comment

Thanks for checking phydeauxmutt.

Comment

81 gs650's came with -200, 82 and 83's had the -300 carbs - difference would be minor: probably a mannufacturing change
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X