Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED Front Right Fork Outer Tube

Hi All -

Hoping someone on here can help me out. My front right fork was leaking real bad and my bike was handling terribly. So I ordered new OEM oil and dust seals. They got here yesterday so today I started the project. Took both forks off and took the leaking fork apart first. When I got the oil seal out I found that the leak was less from the old oil seal and more from some real bad damage to the inside of the outer tube - the wall that the seal sits against (pics attached). From the looks of it, whomever replaced the seals previously was either in a big hurry or didn't know what they were doing and tore it up real bad. So now I'm desperately trying to find an outer tube to replace my damaged one (or some other solution if anyone has one, but I don't know that there are any other remedies for this specific issue).

So heres what I'm looking for: an outer tube for the right front fork for a 1980 GS850G.

If anyone on here happens to have a spare that I could purchase from them or tips on where I might find one or if you know what other models/years would have the same outer tube PLEASE let me know. This bike is my main mode of transportation right now - I'm currently borrowing a truck from my Uncle but won't be able to keep it much longer - so the sooner I can get this fixed the better.

Thanks.

Michael

IMG_1668.jpg

Just fyi, this should be in the parts wanted forum.

Check these out. https://www.ebay.com/i/262952330114?chn=ps&dispItem=1

BTW, I have a better looking set if you're interested from my 81 850G parts bike. Hadn't thought of a price though. Maybe $50 plus shipping for the set. Don't want to break them apart though.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      Just fyi, this should be in the parts wanted forum.

Check these out. https://www.ebay.com/i/262952330114?chn=ps&dispItem=1

BTW, I have a better looking set if you're interested from my 81 850G parts bike. Hadn't thought of a price though. Maybe $50 plus shipping for the set. Don't want to break them apart though.

Didn't realize there was a forum specifically for parts wanted. I just joined. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the link to the set on eBay. Those look pretty rough. I need to get the bike out of my buddy's garage by the end of the weekend so I'm going to try to sand down the damage and use some JB Weld to fill in and hope that does a decent job. If they start leaking real bad again I'll reach back out about the forks for your 81. So that I can get an idea of what shipping might look like, can you tell me what area you're in?

Thanks again.

Comment

I would just clean up the damage with a dremal and call it good, maybe a light coat of silicone around the outer part of the seal.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by mschade503 View Post
          Didn't realize there was a forum specifically for parts wanted. I just joined. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the link to the set on eBay. Those look pretty rough. I need to get the bike out of my buddy's garage by the end of the weekend so I'm going to try to sand down the damage and use some JB Weld to fill in and hope that does a decent job. If they start leaking real bad again I'll reach back out about the forks for your 81. So that I can get an idea of what shipping might look like, can you tell me what area you're in?

Thanks again.
          Sounds good. I'm in Albuquerque so you know. It's in the upper right corner when I post something.

Good luck with the repair.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

That's the plan. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Thanks Roger.

Comment

Yep, this is not a big deal. Clean it up a bit, then smear some RTV or case sealer around the outer diameter of the new seal and it'll be fine.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                X