1980 Gs850L Engine swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Gs850L Engine swaps?

So I have a problem, I have a gasket leak. Just a manageable drool on the left side. However I got a full gaskets kit to replace everything. Figured I'd do a compression check to see if I should redo the rings. Campresion low in all cylinders, so looked for oversized rings and thought to bore out. No such kit or rings exist. If I put the regular rings in the only way to guarantee it is to have the cylinders sleeved. This is all gonna cost about $2k in parts, bought the bike for $1k. Doesn't make much sense to me. Unless I can do an Engine swap upgrade. Anyone know if there's an Engine that pairs with the transmission or an entire drive system that would work well?

A 1000G engine pretty much bolts right in, but you will also need the carbs, airbox and driveshaft from the 1000.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Peaceonhotdogs View Post
      So I have a problem, I have a gasket leak. Just a manageable drool on the left side. However I got a full gaskets kit to replace everything. Figured I'd do a compression check to see if I should redo the rings. Campresion low in all cylinders, so looked for oversized rings and thought to bore out. No such kit or rings exist. If I put the regular rings in the only way to guarantee it is to have the cylinders sleeved. This is all gonna cost about $2k in parts, bought the bike for $1k. Doesn't make much sense to me. Unless I can do an Engine swap upgrade. Anyone know if there's an Engine that pairs with the transmission or an entire drive system that would work well?
      Oh so many questions. What are the compression numbers? Did you open the throttle all the way while doing the test. Is the engine spinning quickly? How many miles are on it? Have you adjusted your valves lately? Have you performed a leak down test to make sure what you are loosing is going past the rings and not valves? One last thing is you may not have to go over sized. If the wear on the walls are light then a new set of stock rings and a hone may be all that's needed.
      Last edited by gsrick; 08-23-2017, 12:25 AM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yes did everything right

99, 94, 105, 102 in the cylinders, full throttle with spark plugs correctly done for test. It's not the values cause the needle tipped the right way on the test. Have not done a leakdown test tho.

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        Oh so many questions. What are the compression numbers? Did you open the throttle all the way while doing the test. Is the engine spinning quickly? How many miles are on it? Have you adjusted your valves lately? Have you performed a leak down test to make sure what you are loosing is going past the rings and not valves? One last thing is you may not have to go over sized. If the wear on the walls are light then a new set of stock rings and a hone may be all that's needed.

Comment

He mentioned the valves as a possible cause for low compression numbers not the numbers on the gauge.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Unless the bores have rust damage or more than 70k miles on them it's unlikely they are worn past the service limit. New OEM rings are about $125/set so considering the amount of time and effort to tear down the engine, it's generally advised to replace them as a matter of maintenance.

BTW, OEM gaskets are superior to aftermarket, which range in quality from passable to outright criminal in their crappiness.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
            X