Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Throttle Cable Modification

1980 GS1100E with the VM33 carbs on it.
    I finally had the money and time to get the bike running right so I took it to an actual bike mechanic instead of doing it myself. Since he was tuning it to where it should be he was able to find and accurately identify all sorts of issues that I had overlooked in my ignorance all these years; the chief one being that the VM33 carbs really need a second cable to close them. I bought the bike with the carbs on there and it always only had the single throttle cable so I assumed it would run correctly that way (nope!). After looking around I saw that there were some dual cable assemblies that would fit, but they would move my switches around and that just didn't sit well with me. I popped open my cable/switch housing and noticed that it looked like it was 90% set up to take a second cable. The throttle tube even has the second mounting point. So I got another cable/switch assembly, though in better condition, from ebay and went to work. I got a pair of Barnett aluminum cables just so they'd match and to eliminate the cable threads being an issue since I wasn't sure how I was going to do the modification and I may need to trim the thread diameter down. However, if you are very careful (VERY careful) you can trim the insertion portion of the housing down and then epoxy it on to the other housing exactly where you would expect it to be. Solved my problem and it didn't screw with my switches. The next step is to make the mod look more presentable and less detectable.
    20170823_123910.jpg
Working...
X