Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650 RPM "wall"

been awhile so I'll start a new thread
    ,carbs(disassembled, dipped, new rings), replaced intakes, fuses, and lots of other little things. its been inspected and is all legal and I've been able to start riding it around town. been a blast
    starts right up, it idles well, right between 1000-1100, all my electrics seem to be working well. no problems at all in town.
    However, once I started to feel confident in its reliability I started taking it on longer runs out of town and heres what I noticed.
    it accelerates fine, shifts fine, but in 5 around 6500 rpms it levels out. I can lay on it and open it all the way up but it won't get over 7000 rpms, in 4th I managed to get it to 7500 ish but it still is like hitting a wall. when its held all the way open it will lurch, thats the best way I can describe it, like its trying to go faster but Its missing something. speed tops out at about 80, which isn't bad if I was going to be riding it in town, but for highway riding it would be best to have a little more speed to get out of trouble if I need to.
    My first thought was fuel starvation.
    I recently put a new fuel lines and made sure it wasn't kinked, vacuum hose isn't kinked, petcock is new, tank has been cleaned very recently, I checked the cap and I think its fine, What else should I check? I'm running out of ideas.

Does it make any popping sounds when it flattens out or is there a dull low "WAHHHHH" sound?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Make sure that throttle cable is able to pull throttles plates wi....de open - with too much play at idle spot ,cable might run out of travel. Is your air filter element just lightly oiled?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Stock intake, jetting and exhaust? Will it pull higher RPM in lower gears? Your description sounds lean (you will get a lean surge and it will hunt up and down a bit on RPM), but that is a vague guess at best without more info.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

stock intake and exhaust and I am assuming jetting as well, ( do you know stock jetting for a 82 650?) can get slightly higher RPMS in lower gears.

Ill check my throttle cable and make sure there is no play. had some problems with it being overnighted before, possible I overcorrected it.

I think its more of a low dull WAHHHHHHH than popping, defiantly not backfiring.

Comment

Stock main jet is 110
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

new jets on the way, ill let you know when I put them in,
              thanks!!

Comment

went from the stock 110 jets to 115 made a huge difference. topped out the speedo (85 MPH) and then some thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
                X