Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

threading throttle cable

Hi,

I just rebuilt the carbs on a suzuki gs450, and am trying to reinstall them on the bike. I'm completely new to this, and need to get the throttle cable through a really narrow/curved metal passage (photo attached). I've tried pushing/forcing it through, and also tried to attach some brass wire to the ball and pull it through—but the brass wire keeps breaking. Are there any good ways to rethread?

Thanks!
    IMG_3637.JPG.jpg

The year and model number of your bike would help a lot. If the cable is anything like the other GS bikes a new cable should come already threaded through a new tube with the end already on it. You are going to a lot of trouble for a $20-$30 cable.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Your picture is different to the set-up on my 550, but I would have thought that the throttle cable goes into the bracket under your ring finger, and is adjusted and held in place by two nuts. Then the choke cable goes into the curved piece of tube.

I could be completely wrong about this, so hopefully someone more familiar with your carbs will pop up. Also, are you sure you have the cable the right way round?

It may help if you post a pic of both ends of your current cable.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

That curved tube is for the choke cable, not the throttle.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
        X