Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Master Cylinder - GS1000 Anyone used anything more modern?

salty_monk is online now Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Default Rear Master Cylinder - GS1000 Anyone used anything more modern?

If so lets have the details.... I'm a stickler for function not originality. The GS parts are getting a bit long in the tooth now - hard to find them without rust.

Also if anyone has used a different caliper on the rear I'd like to know about it too...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Ah...you implied the wrong thing here...."don't care to keep it original".....lol. I'm not judging at all, but this forum caters mostly to the "original" crowd.

My thread about installing USD forks on my 1000G got only a few replies.....not original equipment....but luckily they were good ones.
    I'm looking to do the same thing since my front end will be newer....you and I had this conversation long ago{lol} when I bought your upgrade kit...I'd still like a matching rear rotor, and the like, too.
    GSX-R tidbits work with some GS stuff {and vise-versa}...as I recall, a GSX-R rear wheel will take a GS drive hub.

While this is a great site for restorations...there's others for Suzuki GS mods that are more apt to help....check your PMs bud.
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves...car leaks oil, not the wife}
    '08 Avalon - DD/cage{169k...doesn't burn or leak oil}

Oh, and should you ever consider messing with the front end...or just want to watch the crazy guy...here ya go-
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...efit-questions
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves...car leaks oil, not the wife}
    '08 Avalon - DD/cage{169k...doesn't burn or leak oil}

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Dan,

You want me to bring your lathe back so you can bore your old master out and press in a stainless sleeve? Should be doable once you figure out how to hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    If so lets have the details.... I'm a stickler for function not originality. The GS parts are getting a bit long in the tooth now - hard to find them without rust.

Also if anyone has used a different caliper on the rear I'd like to know about it too...
    I haven't looked into it, but I did use an '04 R6 rear master on my '84 FJ1100. it was a direct bolt on. All I had to do was swap the the yoke end. Check this eBay ad. It is a Chinese made rear master, but says it fits oddles of Suzuki's from the B12 to the GS500 and has the basic measurements you can use to compare with to GS1000 master and see if a real Suzuki master from these bikes will work out. The only issue I see is findting the proper mount hole distance.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Master-....c100005.m1851
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
    Ah...you implied the wrong thing here...."don't care to keep it original".....lol. I'm not judging at all, but this forum caters mostly to the "original" crowd.

My thread about installing USD forks on my 1000G got only a few replies.....not original equipment....but luckily they were good ones.
    I'm looking to do the same thing since my front end will be newer....you and I had this conversation long ago{lol} when I bought your upgrade kit...I'd still like a matching rear rotor, and the like, too.
    GSX-R tidbits work with some GS stuff {and vise-versa}...as I recall, a GSX-R rear wheel will take a GS drive hub.

While this is a great site for restorations...there's others for Suzuki GS mods that are more apt to help....check your PMs bud.
    If you want encouragement and a pat on the back why don't you start a "build" thread to describe the mods you are making to your bike? Take some proper photos and load them up on a good photo hosting site and then link them here so people can see photos in high resolution without having to click some tiny attachment link. If you put out some effort for the community the folks here are very generous with their praise and you will get the encouragement you desire.

Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    Dan,

You want me to bring your lathe back so you can bore your old master out and press in a stainless sleeve? Should be doable once you figure out how to hold it.
    That would be the proper way Ed but I'd still need a piston cup at a minimum ($30 inc shipping plus the stainless stock) & I am short of time as ever... (Don't get enough time riding the GS as it is).

None of the ones I've seen are a direct bolt-on so far. The Vstrom one looks like it stands a decent chance of working (and sell for about $15-$20) if I can make a simple bracket to space it correctly. Most now seem to have that 45mm mounting bolt spacing as a standard.
    Last edited by salty_monk; 09-14-2017 at 03:17 PM.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

www.agadisplay.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Sorry Dan, not much to offer here but I'm curious on this question as well.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Quote Originally Posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
    Not sure what model. but the early GSXR and GS1000 drive hubs are completely different. GSXR has 5 rubbers and GS has six for a start

compare.jpg

Past Site Supporter

The more modern GS500 has the 5 that works with the GSXR wheel. Some of the GSXR wheels do use 6.

Rob - I think I'm going to get a V-strom one & try it with a stock caliper & will report back..

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

www.agadisplay.com