Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain plug washer

IMG_20170910_222200.jpg

What kind of washer should be used here?

This looks like a couple aluminum washers are already fused on here or is this how it is supposed to look?
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

One ally washer should be good enough
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Pry them off with a pick or similar and than use the one that should be there:

GASKET 09168-14004 for a $1.07 at Parts Outlaw
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]52629[/ATTACH]

What kind of washer should be used here?

This looks like a couple aluminum washers are already fused on here or is this how it is supposed to look?
        Hey neighbor!
        That gasket before being smashed looks just like the one around a spark plug.

#6 in here. http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...ump-oil-filter
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

GASKET 09168-14004 for a $1.07 at Parts Outlaw
          OEM parts. No guessing on "What kind of washer should be on there?"
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

OEM is a steel crush washer. It's sort of a hollow shape, like a rolled edge, and it compresses to look like two layers. What you see in the photo is one washer that's been compressed. They're also used for the side oil oil passage plugs.

You can get a better look at a new uncrushed washer by punching the part number ( 09168-14004 ) into fleaBay:

I've never really been able to find a better bulk source for these things than Suzuki -- you can sometimes find them in auto parts stores on the rack of drain plugs and such, but they're expensive. They're 99 cents at my favorite local shoppe:

Prying the old ones off is a royal pain, especially if they've been used over and over and over and over again for 30 years by clueless mechanics, but you gotta do it.

Sometimes I have to put the plug in a vise and gently tap a knife blade in there to start working it loose.

On my GS, I installed a steel thread insert in the oil pan and use aluminum crush washers. If you look at the inside of an OEM oil pan, the thickness of the aluminum and the amount of threads is frighteningly skimpy.
            Last edited by bwringer; 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              On my GS, I installed a steel thread insert in the oil pan and use aluminum crush washers. If you look at the inside of an OEM oil pan, the thickness of the aluminum and the amount of threads is frighteningly skimpy.
              very helpful post all around.

Why is the steel thread insert needed instead of just a using an alum washer with it as is?

Regarding the insert, did you enlarge the pan hole to use the OEM plug or go a a smaller plug? Do you remember what sizes on those inserts you used?

Any reason (other than it is likely to happen at the least inconvenient time) not to go to alum washer with it as-is and them go to insert if it happens to strip?
              1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
              1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
              1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

With an aluminum crush washer, you need a bit more torque to ensure a good seal. Without a thread insert, with the few aluminum threads available... it's marginal. Yes, you can do it for a while and it works... but it's not ideal.

The drain plug threads on most GS models are 14mm diameter X 1.25mm pitch. As it happens, this is the same as a 14mm spark plug thread, so inserts are pretty easy to find.

I've used this kit:

Despite the Heli-Coil brand name on the package, this is a solid insert, not a wire coil. Important when sealing fluids or compression. These kits are available at just about any auto parts shoppe. The kit comes with a tap that enlarges and threads the original hole to the correct threads for the outside of the insert.

The detail that makes this type of insert better than some others is that as the last step, you stick a swaging tool into the end and give it a whack -- this expands the insert a bit, locks it into place, and shapes the end so that it will seal properly.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

When I fixed my oil drain, I used a threaded steel insert. You can do it or have a trusted shop do it for you. Once the insert is installed go to an auto parts store like NAPA or some one else. Find a drain plug that fits the threads and use a copper crush washer. Mine has been like this for nearly 20 years now. No leaks no nothing.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I had a leaky drain bolt. Found an oversized bolt and used a copper washer near the head and the rubber washer the came with the bolt after. So far ao good.

I've learned that folks tend overtighten these bolts.
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I use these.. they work really well with less torque as I know the threads on mine aren't that great. One day I'll do the steel insert thing probably.

Standard practice in the U.S.A. is to use crush washers, O rings and/or Stat-O-Seals to seal ports and banjo fittings. English practice is to use Dowty Seals . Dowty seals are similar in concept to our Stat-O-Seals, but are considerably smaller in diameter (and thicker in cross section). Since many of our road racing and Indy cars and their mechanics are of English origin, Earl's offers a complete range of Dowty Seals. English Practice Considerably Smaller Diameter Thicker In Cross-Section Complete Range Offered

I torque to about 17-20lb (as advised by those "in the know" with the KLR who torque at 17lb - also AL threads).
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Interesting how this subject came up around the same time spyder had a bad incident with his drain plug.

Steel insert is the way to go and I wanna thank MrBill for helping me with my oil pan mod.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I changed my oil for the first time last weekend (had it over a month now) and noticed there was no washer on the drain plug. Saw it on the parts fiche. Guess I better order a couple.

Looking forward to adjusting the valves soon (PO had owned it since ’88 and said he’d never adjusted them, after putting 25k to 30k miles on it).
                          Steedracer
                          Brentwood, TN

1980 GS1100LT......
                          1974 Yamaha DT360 Enduro
                          1975 Kawasaki KE125
                          1973 Kawasaki G4TR
                          1967 Honda Cub 50

Comment

Originally posted by Steedracer View Post
                            Thanks for the comments. I changed my oil for the first time last weekend (had it over a month now) and noticed there was no washer on the drain plug. Saw it on the parts fiche. Guess I better order a couple.

Looking forward to adjusting the valves soon (PO had owned it since ’88 and said he’d never adjusted them, after putting 25k to 30k miles on it).
                            It's amazing the engine is still running. Not running rough or anything? Just shows how durable these engines are.
                            Last edited by Burque73; 10-27-2018, 03:02 PM.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

She’s pretty zippy. Valve adjustment and carb rebuild are definitely on the list for this winter!
                              Steedracer
                              Brentwood, TN

1980 GS1100LT......
                              1974 Yamaha DT360 Enduro
                              1975 Kawasaki KE125
                              1973 Kawasaki G4TR
                              1967 Honda Cub 50

Comment

Working...
                              X