X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same as a 14mm spark plug washer.
    Ray

Comment

My solution.... Found a fiber type washer in the true value (chain small hardware shop) that sealed with little torque. Had been fine for months.
      1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
      1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
      1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
        My solution.... Found a fiber type washer in the true value (chain small hardware shop) that sealed with little torque. Had been fine for months.
        I have used fibre washers but my sump plug is wired I have always found fibre washers come a tad lose would be very carefull if not wired.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

I see the photo from the original post, I think you guys are saying that there is an old crush washer on his that needed to be pried off? Can you guys take a look at mine and let me know for sure, is that ring an old over-crushed washer or part of the drain plug? Thanks!
          20220419_111057 by Andy Hoover, on Flickr
          20220419_111125 by Andy Hoover, on Flickr

1979 GS750

Comment

Old washer, but if it ain't leaking "I" wouldn't fool with it...Just my opinion.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'd replace that crush washer. They are single-use. I've had to get aggressive with one like in the pics in post. #19, using a cut-off wheel in a dremel. Careful not to nick the threads. Once the washer started to move, I didn't have to cut all the way thru, they it came off easily. NOT recommending this technique, but it worked for me.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks, guys, I will carefully remove it.
                1979 GS750

Comment

A sharp pick can sometimes get under there as well
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yup, old washer. And I use a knife blade I don't care about. Tap it into place gently to open up a little prying space.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      I use these.. they work really well with less torque as I know the threads on mine aren't that great. One day I'll do the steel insert thing probably.

Standard practice in the U.S.A. is to use crush washers, O rings and/or Stat-O-Seals to seal ports and banjo fittings. English practice is to use Dowty Seals . Dowty seals are similar in concept to our Stat-O-Seals, but are considerably smaller in diameter (and thicker in cross section). Since many of our road racing and Indy cars and their mechanics are of English origin, Earl's offers a complete range of Dowty Seals. English Practice Considerably Smaller Diameter Thicker In Cross-Section Complete Range Offered

I torque to about 17-20lb (as advised by those "in the know" with the KLR who torque at 17lb - also AL threads).
                      I'll second that. Dowty seal washers are great for the drain plug. I just pulled the plug the other day and the darn thing was little more than hand tight. In spite of the nearly loose plug, not a drop of oil leaked out. I'll atribute that to the dowty seal.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

OK, I got the old washer off using a vise, utility blade, hammer, small cold chisel, side cutters, and channel locks in that order. No damage to the drain plug. Probably not worth the time other than thinking that it was the original 1979 plug. Don't tell me if it wasn't.
                        1979 GS750

Comment

Working...
                        X