GS450 Igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Igniter

Hello! This is my first post, so might as well start off with the worst right? I just picked up my first bike and first gs not too long ago and I've been working on a nice resto/mod cafe build. Sure enough I start getting into it and find out that there just isn't an igniter on the bike. So I'm honestly not sure how to go about this. All the parts ive found so far have been seemingly cheap and abundant but it's looking like i'll have to spend as much on this as I did on the bike. So whats the best way to go about doing this? Should i just keep my eyes open for an igniter on ebay and hope one pops up for less than $200 or is there a conversion that i should do since im already getting a new one? Im pretty handy with wiring and mechanical stuff in general so a little work isnt terrible

The 80 to 82 bikes had a mechanical advance mechanism; 83 on had a fixed rotor and the advance is electronic in the igniter. The later type is more common as it is used through the GS500 series. OTOH, you'd probably need to adapt the wiring and have the corresponding connector plug as they varied over time. The early ones are getting scarce it seems.

It should be possible to use an early type from a four cylinder bike as the only functional difference is in the coils which have two HT leads rather than one, but the mounts and wiring loom connectors are often different. I'd get up to speed on all the differences and whether they're adaptable before buying. Sometimes the only difference is in the length of the wires to the plug and/or the plug.

To go GS500 would require the whole system - rotor, trigger plate and igniter/connector - but then you're up to date and they seem pretty trouble free. I've seen some good deals and good availability.

Unless you're really lucky, it isn't going to be cheap. You could go back to points, but even that would be a challenge and not as cheap as you'd expect; plus it's rather crude and maintenance intensive.

You can peruse part numbers and such at cmsnl.com .
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Have you looked at signal coil area- maybe your 450 has been upgraded to a dyna system:in which case, the stock ignitor would be gone.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Try these guys i'm guessing it's the "CDI" box:

$75

Maybe you'll have luck on the GStwins forum with some kind of GS500 swap: http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=62288.0

Also as far as I know the GS450 never had points.

Originally posted by John Park View Post

Unless you're really lucky, it isn't going to be cheap. You could go back to points, but even that would be a challenge and not as cheap as you'd expect; plus it's rather crude and maintenance intensive.

You can peruse part numbers and such at cmsnl.com .
        Last edited by sam000lee; 09-14-2017, 08:24 AM.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post

Also as far as I know the GS450 never had points.
          Quite true. But there's nothing preventing installing them if you have the GS400 parts. People went the other way with pre 80 bikes.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

I guess I should have clarified the year in my first post! Its a 1981, im honestly not sure of the submodel. I havent checked the signal coils and I have an exam for university today, but I'll take a look at them and see if theres anything. There is a plug for a CDI but I'm honestly not sure what have of the wiring work done on this bike is

Comment

Just another update in case anyone else is having the same problem as me, I found a company on ebay that reproduces the cdi for my bike and I got one ordered, Ill keep posted with whether or not it actually functions! Heres the link in case anyone wants to see http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-ECU-Suzu...hSoHrJ&vxp=mtr

Comment

Very interesting- thanks for update and don't forget to let us know how it works out!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X