Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS750G Petcock Replacement

Gents,

So on my project bike, after cleaning the carbs, I could only get the bike to start after filling the carbs with fuel. The bike doesn't start when connected to the fuel tank. I've taken the petcock apart and checked all the hoses with no luck. The bike has a petcock identical to the link below, it has no key to turn the valve and it doesn't do anything when I turn the slot with a screwdriver (once it is in pieces). I'm looking to replace the petcock, with one that has a reserve and prime so I can check that there is fuel getting to the carbs, does anyone know which one would fit my bike, and where I could get it?
    I will be replacing all hoses, air filter and intake o-rings once I have the petcock working.

Attached Files

That petcock has mounting bolt centerline spacing of 50mm....most of the more common leverstyle petcocks have a spacing of 44mm, so you'd need an adaptor plates on your tank.
    easy thing is just get a new unit and live with it. To get prime on it, you need to rotate slot to vertical and bump starter to get vacuum to start fuel flow- once started , fuel apparently will keep flowing in the prime position. Of course, you have to remember to turn slot back to horizontal to ensure that fuel will only flow with engine running. Yes, it's an annoying device.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You had better check and make sure that there is room for a different valve. The location of the 1980 valves is right over the top of #1 carb. On both my 850 and 1100 L's I changed the tank and now have a reserve on both bikes. Just a thought.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment