1978 GS550 Headlight and High Beam indicator not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 Headlight and High Beam indicator not working

Hey all! New to the forum and GS ownership, so go easy on me! Doing my best to learn as much as I can, but it's a slow process.

My new GS550 is giving me some small issues... All the lights on the bike work. Like literally everything, including the gauge lights, but for some reason my headlight won't work and my high beam indicator won't work. The headlight won't work on any positions, whether high, low, or pass. The taillight comes on just fine, and the brake light works just fine is well. It's just the dang headlamp and high beam indicator. My bulb looked a little rough, so I bought a new one, figuring I'd start with the simplest solution, but obviously it didn't work, so here I am...

Does anyone have any advice on what to check, or what it could be? Doing my best to follow along with wiring diagrams, but the wiring on my bike isn't the cleanest ordeal. Also, the bike is one a single fuse system, if that helps.

Really appreciate any help from you guys!

Edwin

Might it be as simple as moving the headlight switch to ON?

Your bike does have a separate switch for the headlight, try moving it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Already tried! The taillights will come on, but the headlight won't...

Comment

Get a test light, or better, a multimeter, then trace back starting from the headlight socket.

If there's power arriving at the headlight socket, then the return path is broken.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the multimeter! Figured it out. Just a loose connection from the ignition to the dimmer switch. What a pain in the ass... Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate all of your help.

Comment

Working...
          X