Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To clean the carbs myself or not...

Hi Guys,

I have been working through a few things on the bike and finally had all major issues worked out. Imagine my surprise when letting the bike run for a few minutes I see a steady trickle/stream of fuel coming out of the air filter. Looking around online it is sounding like a float is stuck. I tried the trick of giving them a quick tap with a hammer but it didn't dislodge. So the question becomes do I try and do it myself or take it to a professional?

*more info: I knew the place who had worked on the bike prior to me purchasing it off of Craigslist. I gave them a call just to confirm that they had gone through the carbs as I was told when I got the bike 2 months ago. They said they did but they did it over a year ago. So it turns out the bike sat for a year after they went through everything. I guess this is what I get from a Craigslist buy. The fact that it was sitting for a year makes me even more sure that the issue is gunk in the carbs...

You can do them yourself by following the tutuorials here. Scroll down and there are rebuilds on the right margin. If you want to send them out I do carbs. Just PM me and I will get back to you tonight after work.

Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-26-2017, 04:40 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the response and the link to the tutorials. As I bought an older bike knowing that it would be a good learning experience I am studying the info you passed on to me. I believe I will try and tackle this myself. Once I get in there and if I become overwhelmed(and probably cause a few more issues..haha) I will contact for the possibility of sending them out.

Thank you again

Comment

Yeah do it yourself! Where about in Boston are you? I'm in the area and would be happy to give a second pair of eyes if anything comes up
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I'm right at the Southie/Dorchester line by the JFK stop on the Red line. If you are not too far and I run into issues I would love to be able to contact you. Thanks for the offer!

Comment

With the tutorials, you can do this yourself. You'll get the experience and confidence to do other repairs as a bonus. Plus, it's kinda cool to see how the carbs work.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
            X