Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting valves with slotted cam sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting valves with slotted cam sprockets?

Curious how if any changes need to be made when adjusting valves with slotted cam sprockets.
    Wouldn't the notches and such be misaligned and do slotted cam sprockets have numbers and arrows like stock?
    When bringing 1-4 to TDC mark leave notches on the end of cams in a different orientation?
    I guess this question is for shim or locknut type valves, so no specific GS.
    Just a passing thought when I noticed the 1150 sprockets for sale by pilot.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

It should make no difference, put the cam notches where they belong as per the manual and all should be good for adjusting clearances. Clearances are to be the same spec as with non adjustable cam gears.
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      Curious how if any changes need to be made when adjusting valves with slotted cam sprockets.
      Wouldn't the notches and such be misaligned and do slotted cam sprockets have numbers and arrows like stock?
      When bringing 1-4 to TDC mark leave notches on the end of cams in a different orientation?
      When degreeing your cams the changes are very small, almost not visible. For instance, on my 1100E the stock lobe centers are 110I/109E. I recently changed them to 106I/108E (gave a very significant improvement in midrange torque). The cams turn at half crank speed, so their adjustment is 1/2 of the crank degree amount as well. That means I turned my intake cam 2 degrees from the stock position and the exhaust cam 0.5 degrees from stock. These small changes make no difference to where the notches on the ends of the cams go when you set them to adjust valve lash.

As for slotted sprockets having the same markings, mine are OEM sprockets that someone slotted before I bought them so they look identical to the original sprockets. I can't say what you get with aftermarket sprockets.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

We use dots to represent the numbers
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Working...
          X