I make leather side bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make leather side bags

I've been thinking about offering this for a while now and am looking for a couple of projects to expand my leather work portfolio. Pretty much what I am offering are handmade leather side bags to replace missing side covers. I did this on my GS450 a few years back, this one holds my registration, a handful of tools, extra fuses, a flashlight. It's not huge but enough to carry the kind of stuff that's handy to have on a motorcycle.

I am not looking to make saddlebag or fork type bags. Obviously, this would be a little more suitable for a non-stock bike. On some bikes, electronics protrude from the profile of the frame, accounting for the shape of the stock side covers so it may not work for your application.
    I normally carry black, brown and natural undyed vegetable tanned leather. The bag in the pictures was cut from the latter and developed a nice patina after a couple of years.

If you are interested, after getting in touch via email/PM, I'll ask you to go to make a cardboard/paper cutout to use as the profile of the bag to send over (digitally or via mail). Turn around time will likely be several weeks and cost will be in the $90 range (not including shipping).

Thanks,
    Sam
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Nice! I have a set being made by the same person who did my seat. Been waiting for her on these for a while now. If she falls through on me, I might be in touch for a set.

Comment

Sam, not my style but i can appreciate the work you have into them.
      You should join DTT. http://www.dotheton.com/

I would think that crowd would be mad for a product like that.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yep - I'm on DTT, but like GSR better
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550

Comment

These are real nice Sam... I didn't realize you were offering them up for sale, this is the 1st time of being on here for 8+ years that I actually looked in this sub-forum, strangely enough...

I have a good friend with a '77 GS750B who may be really into this idea. I'll be doing a top end on his dirtbike and ignition + relay upgrade on his GS750 in the next few weeks, I'll show him this...
          Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2018, 12:58 PM. Reason: Auto-un-correct typo... technology!!!
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Best way to get in touch is with a PM! I haven't been on GSR as much regularly but still check in once a week or so.

I have a few of these fork bags at the moment:

1977 GS550

Comment

Working...
            X