Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at a Yamaha Venture or a classic Honda Goldwing for 2 up touring

Howdy
    So I'm looking at a couple of cheaper used touring bikes while Shan and I figure what s going to work for us to replace the Connie for the long haul. Since we don't ride a large amount of miles together (maybe 2-3K a year) I can't justify buying a big bike that's going to take a big bit out of my wallet. So we looked around on the internet and came to the conclusion that we'd like to get on a classic Yamaha Venture (83-87) or a classic naked Honda Goldwing (76-88, may go faring as well). We thought it would be really cool to ride a machine that was as old (or older) then us and still rack some big miles. I know both of the bikes listed are rocks in the reliability scale but really are aiming for big mile comfort for both of us without being grossly overweight. I have yet to ride either one...
    I know the Venture uses a variant of the V-max engine and know that 2nd gear like to go south. IS there anything else to look for? I have 2 on the schedule to look at, both in the 30K mile range, both south of $1000, both 83's. As always I intend to haggle down the price:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

As for Wings, I have no idea what to look for. I heard that electrically they need to be checked and also the timing belts... other then that nothing. I have found a few good deals, they tend to have a bit more miles then the Ventures I';m finding but hear they are good to 1/4 million miles.
    Here's a couple I'm looking at:
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I have the GS750 on it's way out to fund this for the 750 is just not going to work to tour on. The FZ6 is great for me and my commuting but for the both of us we are limited to just a few hundred miles a time with it, plus getting luggage for it would be quite expensive...

Anyway as always I greatly appreciate your inputs.

Best,

-Justin
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

A Gold Wing! A Venture! WAKE UP JEDZ Wake up buddy! You're just having a bad dream! Haha Don't leave the Kawasaki Voyager out of the equation. Kawasaki makes a pretty good land yacht ��
    Last edited by storm 64; 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The blue Yamaha is a repaint, who knows what else it's hiding. Have you considered renting? http://www.motovermont.com/rental-bmw-r1200rt http://www.2wheeltravel.com/Motorcyc...e%20Rental.htm http://www.eaglerider.com/manchester

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        A Gold Wing! A Venture! WAKE UP JEDZ Wake up buddy! You're just having a bad dream! Haha Don't leave the Kawasaki Voyager out of the equation. Kawasaki makes a pretty good land yacht ��
        HAHAHA Thanks Norm... I'll look into that as well!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
          The blue Yamaha is a repaint, who knows what else it's hiding. Have you considered renting? http://www.motovermont.com/rental-bmw-r1200rt http://www.2wheeltravel.com/Motorcyc...e%20Rental.htm http://www.eaglerider.com/manchester
          I have but generally when the Mrs. and I go for a tour we go for a week... Renting would be prohibitively expensive. I'd rather take the coin and put it toward the trip or the machine...
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I've always liked those 70's naked Goldwings. Seen a few restored at shows on the island. They clean up nice......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

I love the look of the Classic Gold wings... Just as long as I can bolt a windshield to it, I'm good to go. She loves the look of them... Really that's all that matters for I'd likely only ride it with her anyway.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I'd like to put a word in for a Kawasaki 1100 A1, A2, (81-82) low miles and exceptional shape a given, but a solid choice-

A very nice example, too much money, and too far away, but you get the idea-

Last edited by recycled64; 10-16-2017, 07:40 PM.
                sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Don't forget the Kawasaki Voyager XII. 4 cylinder, and a much better bike than the original 6 cylinder Voyager. Kind of rare, but everyone I've talked to that had one loved it.

And of course there's the GK Suzukis, but I assume you've already considered them.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

A friend has a GW 1200, he said something about the stator being completely inaccessible, requires pretty much removing the engine, or something like that.

I suspect you did not list the zuki Cavalcade because you did not run across one for sale.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I can offer some insight based on experience.

The GL1500 that I have now is the first Wing that I have owned, but it is not the first Wing I have ridden. Back in 1979, I had determined that my KZ650 was not enough bike for the two of us, along with some camping gear. Friends had a GL1000 ('77 model), so I looked at one, too. Nice enough, but my long legs were not that comfortable on it. I test rode one of the new KZ1000STs, then the salesman mentioned the soon-to-be-released KZ1300. I ended up with the 1300 and did not regret it. Another friend got a GL1100, which ended up fully-loaded, as many Wings do. It was nice, but still had some problems with my long legs. If you do consider a GL1200, be sure to avoid the '85 and '86 fuel injected models. They had too many problems and parts are VERY hard to find.

Several years later, I had the opportunity to ride a GL1200, which was better, but still had some comfort issues, I ended up with a Voyager 1300. As a member of the American Voyager Association, I had the opportunity to meet many other Voyager owners. Some of them had the six-cylinder 1300 and the four-cylinder 1200, and pronounced the 1200 a MUCH better bike. For something a bit lighter, they also suggested the early Concours. One advantage of the Voyager 1200 is the fact that it was made from 1986 through 2003, almost unchanged. There were a few minor improvements and the color scheme (yes, just one) changed every couple of years, but it remained a good bike up to its end.

About 15 years ago, my son got an '83 Venture, virtually identical to the first one you showed. Nice bike, excellent handling. Drawbacks are few, probably the worst one is the second gear issue. The gear itself does not wear out, just the bushing that pushes it into place. It is possible to replace that bushing by taking the engine out of the frame, flipping it over and opening the bottom end to access the transmission. We did not do that, and sold the bike as-is to someone who knew about the problem. He ran it for at least a couple more years, ended up skipping second gear, treating it like a four-speed box with a VERY wide spread between first and second (third) gear. He replaced the '83 Venture with the '86 Venture Royale that is shown in my sig. It's even better. The larger (1300 vs 1200) engine is tuned for low-down torque, but still offers PLENTY of top-end power, while still delivering decent fuel economy.

Redman mentioned stator difficulties on the GL1200. Actually, it was on ALL the four-cylinder Wings, 1000-1200. Yes, the engine has to come out of the frame, as the stator is on the rear end of the crank. There is a solution that is a rather redneck solution. There is a kit that mounts an automotive alternator just outside the fairing, just above the engine. That increased the output considerably, and eliminates any stator problems. To help avert stator problems, you can do the same thing we do to the GSes, clean the connections and install a SH775 R/R.

If you are looking for a decent two-up bike, don't overlook the early GL1500s. They started in 1988, but like many other vehicles, avoid the first year, if possible. There were many subtle improvements for 1989, and they kept getting better from there. They only came fully-dressed, but if you appreciated the protection on your Connie 14, you might like the Wing, too.

Last edited by Steve; 10-17-2017, 01:00 AM.
                      sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I couldn't find any Kawasakis or Suzukis until I dug deep. The Voyager seems to fetch some big coin, found a non running Clavacade for $500.

I'll browse for a Z1100 and GK... I'm not seeing many worth while offerings around here.

Steve I am greatly appreciative of your input here. I know you have had allot of experience mainly with the Voyager models (FYI your link in your signature is going no where).

Very Very informative. I know the CX500 had the same type of Stator, I dropped the engine on mine to replace it... No Fun. The Flying twin was bag enough, can't imagine a 4 cylinder. Good to know about the alternator "upgrade". I have found allot of non running GL's that crank but won't fire because of fouled Carbs. $250-$500, I know there is allot of 1 carb conversion kits for these bikes so I'm half tempted to go this route as well, although I have no idea what the 1 carb does for performance and reliability. I really love the classic early GL's. If I can make it reliable I'd ride it. Must be good enough though for it's not uncommon to find specimens with over 70K miles.

I plan on test riding the Ventrue some point this week for the blue one is just down the road from me. I'm drawn to the Venture just because of the readiness of aftermarket support and the fact there is so many bits that work with the Vmax as well so fining parts to fix it won't be as challenging. If I like the way it ride I may suck it up and drive out to Malone to buy the Maroon one if the local one doesn't pass my test. I found this great link for stuff to look for: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...st-Gen-Venture

I have seen guys put Vmax engines in when the transmissions go south on yourtube... Price of motors range from $800 to $1500 depending on age and condition. So that's reassuring... Out of all the bikes the Venture appeals to me and the Mrs. most.

I don't think we are ready to step up to a very heavy Wing. The GL1500 weighs in at 850LBS... 150Lbs more then the Venture and the Connie14. The Connie was already too fat IMHO and I was only keeping it around so the MRs. and I could ride 2 up on. We both don't like the styling of the Modern Wings... We just don't see us wanting to own a Goldwing. That might change as we get older. Right now we want to ride a retro old school touring bike for the few thousand miles we ride together a year.... Also most GL1500's are out of our price range. We are looking for a $1000 bike (or less) that I can refresh over the winter that is ready for us to blast big trips out this spring.

Thanks again Steve! Look forward to riding with you some this coming year! Now that the we are now deeply rooted in home-ownership I look forward to being able to ride out west more this coming year and meet up!

So after reading the feedback the Venture is siding heavy with my nod. A 4 banger GL isn't out of the question, if I can make it reliable with a carb and alternator conversion I may also go this route. Anyone have any feedback on that? Even if the Venture is having a 2nd gear issue, it is correctable without splitting the case. I think any other issue aside I would feel comfortable correcting myself in my shop over the winter.

Thanks guys!

-Justin
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                          Even if the Venture is having a 2nd gear issue, it is correctable without splitting the case.
                          Slight correction there. You DO have to split the cases, but you can do that without removing the top end if you turn the engine over first.

I understand you can do the same thing to a GS, but have never had to do it myself.

Sorry about the link. It's a tinyurl link to a Photobucket picture. For some reason, some of my Photobucket pictures still work, let's try this one:

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Slight correction there. You DO have to split the cases, but you can do that without removing the top end if you turn the engine over first.

I understand you can do the same thing to a GS, but have never had to do it myself.

Sorry about the link. It's a tinyurl link to a Photobucket picture. For some reason, some of my Photobucket pictures still work, let's try this one:

How is Pillion Comfort?

I see there is some deflectors installed as well, was that for the rider or passenger?

Nice looking machines!!

Thanks for the clarification of having to split the case.

When in doubt, swap it out... And swap in this:

Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Voyager XII is a great bike for its size-fast, stable, well designed, mid to upper 40's in mpg, good looking.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X