GSXR 1052 engine in GS 1000 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR 1052 engine in GS 1000 frame

Following my GS 1000 engine in a GSXR 1st gen frame project ( http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ame&highlight=) , I decided to try the opposite i.e. get a GSXR 1st gen engine in a GS 1000 frame.
    This is by no means an original project as there are many examples to be found around the world.
    The most impressive one I found is the one done by Custom-Wolf in Germany a true work of art in particular their Mocca Racer bike.

Even better, one can buy among other items the brackets that hold the engine in the frame.
    It's a very smart design as the top rear bracket doubles as the support for the top of the monoshock shock absorber.
    I chose the model that will take the Benelli swingarm for a future evolution...
    In the meantime, I'll be using my current GSXR 2nd gen swingarm setup.
    The front end will consist of a Yamaha YZF R6 43 mm RSU fork that I've described here:

Currently, I've had the GS 1000 frame's bottom left engine bracket modified as the kit is for a GS 1100 frame.
    No big issue whatsoever and next week I'll have a lockstop welded to the frame to take the YZF R6 triples.
    The bearings were ordered from All Balls racing.
    No pictures today but do have a look at Custom-Wolf's site!

PS: I'm so glad today as I got the confirmation that I will be soon be able to ride my Honda 305 CB 77 from 1965 as the papers got sorted out!
    Last edited by John Kat; 10-21-2017, 09:50 AM.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

The project is moving forward as I got my frame back with a lock stop welded to take the complete R6 front end.
    The rear suspension is still the GSXR 2nd gen monoshock.
    I'll try to slot the engine in as soon as I find some help...
    Attached Files
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Another pictureIMG_0378.jpg
      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The project has moved forward.
        The engine is now in the frame and the bike is on it's wheels with a complete R6 front end and a GSXR 2nd gen rear swingarm.
        I also found a GSXR K model 4.5" rear wheel that will match the R6 front wheel.
        Fitting the exhaust is proving a little difficult as the engine sits slightly back in the GS frame compared to the GSXR.
        I was lucky to secure a 25th anniversary Devil 4 into 2 into 1 stainless exhaust and I will extend the headers by 20 mm to get the required clearance.
        The fit is so tight that I have to modify the rear brake stay support and the footpeg locations
        All minor issues but time consuming for sure.
        The bike will sit slightly lower than a standard GS 1000 but given the width of the GSXR engine there should be no issue with respect to lean angle.
        I've loaded pictures on photobucket but I suppose you will not be able to see them?
        Attached Files
        sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Wow, nice bikes on Wolf's site..
          I loved your last project and will be following this one as well. Out of my league stuff that I enjoy watching come together.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The electricity is amost done.
            The Koso Rev counter/dashboard lights up, a good morale booster for sure.
            The GSXR CDI is connected to the GS 1000 harness (different connectors of course)
            On the oil side, I bought a Setrab radiator complete with Goodridge D8 oil lines, pretty impressive.
            Here are a few pictures:
            DSCF7493mod.jpg
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The carbs are now on the bike.
              At first, I thought there were the wrong size as it seemed impossible to slide them in the carb mounts.
              As it's pretty cold here, I warmed the carb mounts and bingo they went right in!
              I'm lucky as the carbs I bought on E-bay from Germany came with a Dynojet kit.
              A must as I can't use the OEM air filter...

DSCF7511mod.jpg
              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The Setrab coolers are great stuff, used one on my bike high quality stuff be prepared to have much more oil in this setup as my bike has close to seven quarts in it.
                sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                1994 gsxr1100w
                1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

The Koso speedometer sensor is now in place on the R6 front end.

IMG_0466.jpg
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The battery had to be relocated lower in the chassis as the Thruxton seat sits lower than the OEM one.
                    I also bought a dB Killer as I expect the noise level will largely exceed the legal limits...
                    A fancy clutch cover is also in place.

IMG_0474.jpg
                    sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

A quick update; the saddle subframe is now temporarily bolted to the frame.
                      It will be welded later on but I believe it looks good.
                      The big question is where do I cut the existing frame given that the rear fender must be supported?
                      In fact, I will use the OEM rear fender but relocated forward.
                      It's most convenient as it has it's own subframe ensuring a steady support for the rear light and license plate...

IMG_0496.jpg
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

And with the saddle in place

IMG_0491.jpg
                        sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

That is a nice looking seat.

Comment

Incredible fabrication work!
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I've been reading this thread and looking at the other thread links, as I have an 89 Kat 1100 donor bike I want to use with one of my '82 1100E projects. That engine/shock mount would make things simple, but the cost $441.63 +VAT and shipping to the US, is more than I pay for most of my bikes. Guess I'll be doing my own fabrication. Cool to have something to look at for inspiration.
                              GSRick
                              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                              X