Dropped my GS450L now it won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped my GS450L now it won't start

Hey, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to troubleshooting bikes and just motorcycles in general. So I bought my first bike about a week ago , a 1981 GS450L . Starts without a problem until a few days ago when I dropped it while going up a small hill. I know , I know , rookie mistake and I have no excuses about it . Anyway, it fell over on its left side for less than a minute , stood her back up and tried starting it with no avail. The kill switch is off, clutch in , also in neutral with kickstand up and still not starting .It's been two days since then . At first I thought it was the battery so I changed it out and nothing . Thought it was the spark plugs so I changed those and nothing . Not sure what I'm even looking for but I do remember some fuel coming out the tank when I layed it down so maybe it got into the carb or something ??? Like I said I'm new to riding and have no idea what to try next . If anyone has some words of wisdom I'd greatly appreciate it .

You said the kill switch was OFF. Try turning it ON. Another thing check your fuses, maybe one was jarred in the tip-over.... Good Luck👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The fuse holder is under the left side cover on that bike so like Storm64 said, that's a good place to start. When you say it's not starting with kill switch, clutch, etc. - I'm guessing that it's not even turning over and not just cranking without firing.

What about the lights, dash lights, turn signals, etc., do those work? If everything is out that again points to the fuse.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
        The fuse holder is under the left side cover on that bike so like Storm64 said, that's a good place to start. When you say it's not starting with kill switch, clutch, etc. - I'm guessing that it's not even turning over and not just cranking without firing.What about the lights, dash lights, turn signals, etc., do those work? If everything is out that again points to the fuse.
        Thanks for the reply guys . I just put the key in and checked out the lights . They're suuuuper dim , even tho I replaced the battery yesterday . I'll attach a picture of the left side of the bike since I'm not sure what fuses I should be checking . Thanks again !
        Attached Files

Comment

Is there any chance you crashed due to sudden power loss caused by a fully depleted charging system?
          Hmmm
          So long as you have fuel and spark and compression its got to start.
          Jumper it to a non running car and see if the lights brighten to normal level and then check for spark if it cranks ok.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If your picture were the right way up, here's what all of those things are, from left to right, top to bottom:
            Top:

1. Fuse holder (Opaque white plastic tube thing).
            2. Regulator/Rectifier - Part of charging system. Theres tons of information here on the forum about the charging system if you do some searching.
            3. Tri-ignitor - Sends signal to coils when to fire
            Bottom:
            4. Starter Solenoid(Relay) - Sends power to starter motor when you hit the starter button.
            5. Flasher unit for turn signals.

Originally posted by Drahkula View Post
            Thanks for the reply guys . I just put the key in and checked out the lights . They're suuuuper dim , even tho I replaced the battery yesterday . I'll attach a picture of the left side of the bike since I'm not sure what fuses I should be checking . Thanks again !
            If your lights are dim then your fuse is probably not blown (check it anyway, should be 15A). Turn the killswitch to "On" and listen to the Starter Solenoid - does it click when you hit the starter button?
            If not, there is a Green/Yellow wire that goes from the starter button on the handlebar to the Solenoid, I would check to make sure it hasn't been disturbed (I think you can see this wire in the picture it's routed to where the fuse holder is).

It looks like a new AGM type from what I can see but is the battery you installed new and/or fully charged?

There's a wiring diagram (and tons of other info) for your bike here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            Last edited by sam000lee; 10-24-2017, 02:58 PM.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Might want to check your grounds too. Maybe something came loose.
              Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
              Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Did you charge the new battery? I've seen AGM(maintenance free batteries) on shelves at parts stores, that had a date that was already past a year from when it was filled.
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Welcome to the site Drahkula. Las Vegas eh? I can get you back on the road again with this bike really quickly. All I can charge you without guilt is a round trip ticket this weekend. I've got nothing else going this weekend

All kidding aside, good luck with your situation. Sounds like the guys are giving you some good advice on getting the bike running again.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

If your picture were the right way up, here's what all of those things are, from left to right, top to bottom:
                    Top:

2. Regulator/Rectifier - Part of charging system. Theres tons of information here on the forum about the charging system if you do some searching.
                    Bottom:
                    4. Starter Solenoid(Relay) - Sends power to starter motor when you hit the starter button.

If your lights are dim then your fuse is probably not blown (check it anyway, should be 15A). Turn the killswitch to "On" and listen to the Starter Solenoid - does it click when you hit the starter button?
                    If not, there is a Green/Yellow wire that goes from the starter button on the handlebar to the Solenoid, I would check to make sure it hasn't been disturbed (I think you can see this wire in the picture it's routed to where the fuse holder is).

It looks like a new AGM type from what I can see but is the battery you installed new and/or fully charged?

There's a wiring diagram (and tons of other info) for your bike here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                    I really appreciate the information , brother . When I try to start all I hear is a click , nothing else happens . The battery was fully charge once I put it on but now seems to have been drained for some reason . Still working at it , I just got home from work so it seems it'll be another one of these learning on the job nights haha

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      Welcome to the site Drahkula. Las Vegas eh? I can get you back on the road again with this bike really quickly. All I can charge you without guilt is a round trip ticket this weekend. I've got nothing else going this weekend

All kidding aside, good luck with your situation. Sounds like the guys are giving you some good advice on getting the bike running again.

Haha I wish, man I'd fly you over first class if I had the money 😆😆😆

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        Might want to check your grounds too. Maybe something came loose.

checked for loose connections but haven't found the problem yet. might it be some type of kill switch?? all it does it click when trying to start the engine. It's definitely frustrating seeing as i can't find an issue with the connection. although.. the new battery was a little difficult getting in. Like it was too tall for the compartment so maybe the top of the battery is too high and might be arching to the frame???

Comment

I bought a new one at Ride Now here in Vegas. They said they would put it on the charger so I just assumed it was good to go. All signs pointed to yes since all the lights and turn signals were working just fine with the new battery installed. Weird thing is the battery seemed a bit taller than the one I took out. Doesn't seem to be touching the frame but could it be so close that it's arching??? All it's doing when I hit the ignition is click but nothing else, also no spark from the plugs is happening.

Comment

I bought a new one at Ride Now here in Vegas. They said they would put it on the charger so I just assumed it was good to go. All signs pointed to yes since all the lights and turn signals were working just fine with the new battery installed. Weird thing is the battery seemed a bit taller than the one I took out. Doesn't seem to be touching the frame but could it be so close that it's arching??? All it's doing when I hit the ignition is click but nothing else, also no spark from the plugs is happening.
                            It sounds like either the solenoid is failing to pass the current from the battery to the starter oR the starter is stuck. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the posts. You should get battery on one side and nothing on the other. Turn on the key and see what you get when you push the start button from the other post. If you don't get battery voltage, there may be carbon built up inside the starter solenoid. If you get voltage, check to see if you getting voltage at the other end of the cable at the starter. If you are the starter may be bad or just stuck. You'll have to remove it to find out. If you are not getting voltage at the starter there is either a loose connection or a bad cable.

Back to the solenoid, sometimes you can knock some of the carbon loose by smacking it with a wrench or small hammer. You can also see if it will start by crossing the posts on the terminal with an old screw driver. IT WILL SPARK AND TRY TO WELD, SO BE CAREFUL AND QUICK. USE AND OLD SCREWDRIVER YOU WONT MIND GETTING MESSED UP.
                            GSRick
                            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Top:

Bottom:

holy crap so I get up this morning and check the connections from the colenoid ,for the millionth time and see these two connections A bit burned. Don't know if this is normally how they look over time but seems suspicious. Sorry the picture gets turned over for some reason , damn iPhones . IMG_4894.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X