Dropped my GS450L now it won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drahkula View Post
    I really appreciate the information , brother . When I try to start all I hear is a click , nothing else happens . The battery was fully charge once I put it on but now seems to have been drained for some reason . Still working at it , I just got home from work so it seems it'll be another one of these learning on the job nights haha

What GSRick said - Everything through your kill switch/starter button seems to be okay since the solenoid is clicking with the starter button so your problem is likely between
    1. Battery (+) and Starter Solenoid (maybe in those burned wires),
    2. The solenoid itself,
    3. The solenoid to starter motor
    4. Starter motor.

You can test 1-3 with a multimeter and if you suspect #4, you can pull it without removing the carbs. Pull the battery out, hook up the positive lead to the starter motor terminal and then jump the battery (-) to the body with a spare wire (careful it will jump!).
    Last edited by sam000lee; 10-25-2017, 02:49 PM.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Another thing that crossed my mind when you mentioned dim lights and the battery loosing charge, maybe a wire came loose when you dropped it and there's a short somewhere else in the harness draining the battery...

I think somebody mentioned this already but you could jump it up to a NON running car and see if the starter cranks. It's useless trying to diagnose the starter motor if your battery is not known to be good.
      Last edited by sam000lee; 10-25-2017, 02:50 PM.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

The burnt wire in your picture maybe something of a problem, but not THE problem you are having now.

If clicking then you know the starter button to solenoid circuit is okay so no problem with the kill swtich or clutch lever interlock swtich.

Either battery is weak or bad connection in battery cables or starter motor is suspect.

You have access to a small ( 1 or 2 amp) charger? Put it on a small charger for 4-5-6 hours and see if things are different.
        Last edited by Redman; 10-27-2017, 09:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I like to start with the stupid stuff first... Battery is hooked up correctly? + to +, and - to - I have done it before in a hurry, caught myself, but still got far enough with it to call it installed...

Chances are good that the starter finally gave up. When it dumped over it pushed it over the edge of broken... Follow these guys troubleshooting steps. They are simple and fool proof...
          But seriously, check the battery real quick...
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
          X