Carb help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Have you looked into the GS Shim Club? A simple exchange and a token gratuity, you don't have to purchase shims.

Unless you want to start your own collection, that is.

No I haven't. Still quite new to everything on the site so any direction to community resources is greatly appreciated. I will certainly check it out, thank you.

Comment

Also, my local dealer let's me swap shims for free. Walk in with the old shims and out with the correct ones.

I have K&N pods and stock exhaust. The PO increased mains from 100 to 110. Pilot jets are stock at 15.
      Last edited by hannibal; 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM. Reason: corrected carb specs
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by BurtyMcSquirt View Post
        So 6 out of 8 valves weren't measurable with my set of gauges (go down to .03mm) and at the .03mm feeler it wasn't even close to making it through. Currently recording shim settings to purchase the ones i need to adjust.
        If you can't get a gap measurement, you can't really tell what size shim you'll need. For example, if the present shim is 2.65 you might need a 2.60 or a 2.55, you just can't tell. So be aware that you might need to get extra shims in smaller sizes just in case.

Comment

A tip I've read is to try to spin the shim bucket. If you can spin it, you have some clearance so go down one size (2.65 to 2.60). If you can't spin the bucket, then you have no clearance so try a shim two sizes smaller (2.65 to 2.55).
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Don't know if you are aware of this practice or not, but you can remove your shims 1 at a time and replace it with a quarter. While you have the 1st one out, record and even measure the shim. Once you have done this with all of the shims, you can maybe switch a shim here and there and possibly reduce the number of shims you need to replace.

Also, don't rotate the engine without something in the bucket. You can damage the chrome on the cam lobes.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

So was able to adjust the valves, seal any holes in the exhaust, installed 110 mains, I'm 2.5 turns out on the mix screw and 1.5 turns out on the air screw. I have not balanced the carbs yet because I'm still looking for a balancer that I can borrow. The bike starts up well and idles a little high. I took it around the block and the moment I try to go beyond throttle it dies. If I try to go into second gear it dies. I can make it around the block in 1st gear at 15mph and lots of pops from the bike. Suggestions at this point???????

As always thank you for your time.

Justin

Comment

What's a mix screw?
                Fuel screw - 1 turn out
                Air screw -2-3 turns out
                Needle - up one notch
                Pilot jet - ?
                Mains @ 110- may still be lean
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I ordered a carb rebuild kit after I purchased the bike and swapped everything out. I just noticed that at some point a PO did the same thing and bumped the pilot jets from stock 15 to 17.5. I just put the 17.5's back in. So you feel the 110's make it too lean still but the 115's are too rich? Float bowl heights are set at 26mm (stock setting is 23mm +/-1). I have a carbtune pro coming in on Friday so I can get them balanced.

Any other suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

Set the float height to 24mm.
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

So I'm not certain I want to keep messing with these carbs anymore and thinking about replacing them entirely with a rack thats more pod friendly. Any suggestions for 1978 gs750e?

Comment

You should be able to get PODS to work reasonably with the stock carbs.

It is still not clear at all what is on your bike, can you verify:

1. WHAT IS YOUR EXHAUST! Is it a 4 into 1? You never answered this question - take a picture and post it.

2. WHAT PODS DO YOU HAVE? If you still have the "not much different then the emgos" from post #8, then this is likely an exercise in futility. Don't replace your carbs because you are trying to tune your current ones with junky PODS. Get K&N or APE, you can't skimp here.

Once you have addressed #1 and #2, if it were me I would put the stock jets in with 'stock' settings. The bike should at least run and be able to go around the block more than 15mph and in more than 1st gear. Just don't go much more than around the block. Then I would raise the needle a notch, and change the main and pilot jets according to popular googleable heuristics. Again, there is no way for anybody to help you since we don't know what either the exhaust or the intake situation is.
                        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                        1977 GS550
                        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Yes it its a 4 into 1 (I answered this earlier but felt by using the word "stock" I was criticized for not knowing that there was no such thing). I will order the APE filters if you think they are good alternative to the K&N. For the purposes of record I will list everything I know about this bike

4 into 1 exhaust (no manufacture markings)
                          Mikuni vm 29mm smoothbore carbs
                          vacuum fuel delivery
                          pilot jet: 17.5 Currently though stock is 15
                          Main Jet: 110 Currently though stock is 102.5
                          Float height is 24mm
                          Valves have been adjusted
                          Vacuum leaks have been addressed
                          Completed bench sync
                          Replaced ignition coil
                          Replaced plugs and caps
                          Rebuild petcock

Once again thank you for your quick response. Please have a great Thanksgiving.

Comment

Not trying to come across as being aggravated, just trying to be clear about the missing info.

Did you change one coil or both? This might be a stupid question but if you replaced both coils, are you sure that you didn't accidentally reverse the wiring. I'm not sure if the bike would even run (somebody else chime in) but it might be worth verifying spark is going to the right cylinders at the correct time.
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Ah ha!, VM26's were stock on your bike so there's another thing causing issues....
                              You can ignore everything in previous posts about jetting....
                              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                                Ah ha!, VM26's were stock on your bike so there's another thing causing issues....
                                You can ignore everything in previous posts about jetting....
                                How do you mean? That the 29's were put on later in favor of the 26's?
                                Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2017, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X