No announcement yet.

Oil Change recommnedations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Rotella T4 dino oil in 15W 40 seems to have disappeared for a while. Now it's back under new formulation or old formulation. Anyone know what the difference is?
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeymoe View Post
      So I was going to go with Shell Rotella, but the parts store guy told me that it was not available in 10w40, (or he had never seen it) and I ended up going with Mobil 1 10w40 formulated for motorcycles. The oil change including the filter cost me almost 60 bucks! The oil and filter that I removed looked vitually brand new, but I had been having an issue with the oil pressure light flickering on and off at ~800rpm or so, and I thought the maybe the PO had put in 5wXX oil. The bike seems to run fine, no problems with the clutch, and I had a good test ride in 50 degree weather, which I prefer over 80 degree rides. Over the winter I'll have to adjust the valves because the mechanicals have that locomotive "chuga chuga chuga" sound, (I don't remember my brand new GS850GL having it) however the exhast sounds as smooth as a new car.

Mark[ATTACH=CONFIG]53326[/ATTACH]
      You are grtting a flickering oil light because your RPM at idle is ~150 to low at best. Factory manual for my GS850G calls for idle speed of 950-1150 RPM if I recall. Any less and the pump will not supply oil to the cams. Your 1000 is a couple years older than my 850, my tach is far less than accurate and on a good day indicates 1400 RPM at....I think I have it set for 1000 RPM using a dwell/ tach with inductive pickup. I tap the tach and the needle drops to 1100RPM. So turn your idle up or start looking for a head and cams.

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
        So Rotella T4 dino oil in 15W 40 seems to have disappeared for a while. Now it's back under new formulation or old formulation. Anyone know what the difference is?

I haven't purchased any lately,but that's my standard go-to oil:what is it labeled as now?

Comment

It has not changed and is still available at Walmart, OReillys, Autozone, etc etc
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            It has not changed and is still available at Walmart, OReillys, Autozone, etc etc
            I was shocked to see the difference in price of oil between O'Reilly $29 and Walmart $13. Same product!

Oil filters for the FJR too. O'Reilly $15 Walmart $9. Brake fluid $10 vs $3.

What was really weird was one Walmart 10 miles from me, still in Albuquerque, had Rotella for $16 another a mile away only $13. That didn't make any sense.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

Good.I like that it has that JASO MA/MA2 which I believe gives it better zinc content? for our transmission and wet clutches

Comment

there is a bit of mechanical noise from the engine/ cam walk, valves etc I'd like to maybe improve on.
                So how's that mechanical noise now you've changed the oil ?

Cam walk can be solved (Suzuki has shim plates to take up the slack) but it involves machining the camshaft.
                And since cam walk does no harm to the engine, most learn to live with it.

I know I should adjust the valves but
                These old bikes don't show they are hurting until the problems are serious ... hope you don't get to 'should have' ..
                Checked the valves on my buddy's 8500 km GS1000G - several tight valves, one of the cam lobes was already damaged.
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                  So how's that mechanical noise now you've changed the oil ?

Cam walk can be solved (Suzuki has shim plates to take up the slack) but it involves machining the camshaft.
                  And since cam walk does no harm to the engine, most learn to live with it.

These old bikes don't show they are hurting until the problems are serious ... hope you don't get to 'should have' ..
                  Checked the valves on my buddy's 8500 km GS1000G - several tight valves, one of the cam lobes was already damaged.
                  Don't think you are going to get an answer since Mickymoe is no longer a member of GSR and his questions are 3.5 years old now.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i must be getting old, Ed. Did not notice someone revived a zombie thread ...
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Since this is a "Zombie Thread" I rub down the important parts with left over bacon grease after making breakfast.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        The parts store owners love guys like you. $60???

15W-40 is fine for a GS unless you ride when it's freezing outside. And 5W-40 won't cause your oil light to flicker. The only time 5W is thinner than 15W is when the oil is cold, not when the bike is up to temp, at which point the 40 rating overrides.
                        If you ride in the morning when there is still frozen grass and ice on the saddle 15-40 will leave you clutchless for several minutes. It is fine if you park the bike in neutral and let it warm up, or park it so you can just roll off in first. But I parked mine uphills, in first, next to a fence. As soon as I pressed the starter I was moving towards said fence... Still got free slowly by holding the clutch and waiting, but not optimal. Turned normal after a quick ride around the city.

And who has patience to wait until the snow has melted to start the season?
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by aclaytonb View Post
                          Just knocked out an oil change for under $20. Rotella 15w40 ($14/gal) and a $5 ebay filter. 60 bucks is way too much for these old tanks. You could get by for 25 even with the K&N filter. I see the $12 per quart crap on the shelf at the auto stores and just laugh. Same stuff as in the rotella bottle but you pay the stupid tax for them to print a motorcycle on the front. The bottle of rotella in my garage still says JASO /JASO2 certified.
                          A 5$ ebay oil filter....China ? OEM ? I have seen some aftermarket oil filters collapse, would not recommend them especially when using high volume oil pump gears..Stock oem for just a bit more is worth the money for several reasons....Just my experience..
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                          X