tapping sound in front brake caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tapping sound in front brake caliper

I have a 78' GS550 and I changed the front caliper brake pads a few months back and whenever I lightly squeeze the front brake lever, I hear a metal tapping sound on the disc brake. The bike brakes and stops as it should, but whenever I roll it forward/backwards and lightly play with the brake lever, I hear the tapping sound. When rolling, you can kinda hear the brake pad and disc brake rub a little, but its a very very light sound that I really wouldn't think it would matter.

Is the tapping sound normal though?

This is a schematic of your caliper:

As you can see the caliper "floats" on pins (11 and 12) with o rings to hold in grease. There is quite a bit of scope for wear and slop to develop.

Check every thing is tight, then try and "wiggle" the caliper without depressing the lever. If you can re-create the noise then there is wear. Pull the caliper off and inspect the pins. A little bit of slop is OK, but excessive play should be looked into.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks hillsy

When you say slop, do you mean old excessive grease? I'll inspect caliper and pins after Thanksgiving and take a listen. However, just listening to it tonight, it doesn't really seem like wiggle in the caliper would cause the sound. It got a light "ting" sound thats coming from the disc brake and pad. But like I said, I'll take another closer look after Thanksgivings

Comment

By "slop" I meant movement or play.

The outer pad may be moving around as the brake is applied which could be causing the sound you describe.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by TyeGuy View Post
          I have a 78' GS550 and I changed the front caliper brake pads a few months back and whenever I lightly squeeze the front brake lever, I hear a metal tapping sound on the disc brake. The bike brakes and stops as it should, but whenever I roll it forward/backwards and lightly play with the brake lever, I hear the tapping sound. When rolling, you can kinda hear the brake pad and disc brake rub a little, but its a very very light sound that I really wouldn't think it would matter.

Is the tapping sound normal though?
          Did you figure out the weird sound? I thought about you yesterday when I spun my front wheel while off the ground and heard a slight clicking sound from the speedometer drive unit. Could this be what you're hearing?
          Oh, just reread your post and it seems to coincide with brake pads. Maybe the new pads just need to seat onto the rotors.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
          X