Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850l

Hi,
    I have just bought a GS850L which will be delivered in a few days. In superb condition for age, as it is on a V plate 79.
    Someone said the L version did not come out till 81. Are they right? and if so how comes my one got a V5 and is on a V plate.
    Were they made in 79 in other countries other than the states, which is where my one is supposed to have come from.
    Regards
    Pete

Welcome Pete! Sorry I can't answer your questions.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

No probs. I think they came out in 80 so it may be on the cusp so to speak.

Comment

The 850L was introduced for the 1980 model year, but assembly of the first few happened as early as July or August of 1979. Look at the VIN tag for the assembly date. That might be why it got called a ‘79.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, will do when it arrives.
          Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The 850L was introduced for the 1980 model year, but assembly of the first few happened as early as July or August of 1979. Look at the VIN tag for the assembly date. That might be why it got called a ‘79.

Comment

HI peter, welcome to GSR. I have a GS850L and mine is a 1980 on a V plate.

Don't forget to come back with some pics when it arrives.
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Not too sure how to upload pics yet on here.
              Originally posted by Cyrano View Post

Comment

OK, so created an album. And uploaded some pictures of my bike.
                Originally posted by peterd123 View Post
                Not too sure how to upload pics yet on here.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...chmentid=53379

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...chmentid=53380

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...chmentid=53381

Comment

Thanks, I have just worked out how to upload pics. Just a quick question, as I do not have access to a workshop manual yet for the GS850L. Does it have contacts of electronic ignition? And if contacts, are there any mods that you can recommend and also for the rest of the bike.
                        Regards
                        Pete

Comment

Nice bike Pete, very clean. It has electronic ignition so no worries there. No mods I can recommend, I'm all for keeping mine standard.
                          The key is maintenance, paying particular attention to the electrical connectors and anything made of rubber as it is now 37 years old and seals can perish.

Bookmark this link

as it contains anything you may need to know. Anything else you need, just post on here.
                          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Thanks Cyrano for the link. Looks like it has everything I will need. I'm the same as you, with regards to keeping things original. Except where we can improve without too much deter from original, like electronic ignition and, as you say improving on electrics.
                            Regards
                            Pete
                            Nice bike Pete, very clean. It has electronic ignition so no worries there. No mods I can recommend, I'm all for keeping mine standard.
                            The key is maintenance, paying particular attention to the electrical connectors and anything made of rubber as it is now 37 years old and seals can perish.

Bookmark this link

as it contains anything you may need to know. Anything else you need, just post on here.

Comment

Just one more question, is the G version the same as the L, as far as maintenance for engine/gearbox?

Bookmark this link

Comment

Working...
                              X