Head gasket has arrived, isn't great news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket has arrived, isn't great news

To try and save myself a few quid I bought a NOS genuine HG off ebay rather than new from a dealer, but it's arrived like this:

I'm getting mixed messages as to whether or not it's OK to use, what's the general opinion on here please?

It's a stock 1980/81 GS1000G

I'd go ahead and use it. Shouldn't be an issue with proper torquing.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

yea I got bit by the NOS too. When I received my valve cover gasket it was literally in a dozen pieces like someone had crunched up a bag of chips. Just went ahead and bought a NEW new one and it was cheaper than the NOS. I wont be doing that again

Comment

That happens with other shippers too. I had a valve cover gasket recently folded when the box was crunched. It didn't crease though so I used it and no leaks.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

There aren't any oil passages in that area of the gasket, so honestly it would be fine to go ahead and use it.

The metal sealing rings around the cylinders are OK, the center tunnel section is OK, and the oil passages at the corners look OK too. I'd use it.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X