'80 GS550 Cafe Build NEED YOUR HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS550 Cafe Build NEED YOUR HELP!

What's going on guys! Just got a project 1 owner 4k miles '80 GS550 that needs a rather substantial rebuild so I'm looking to document the progress here but mostly to get the input from the vets. The plan for the build is to turn it into a down and dirty bare bones cafe racer.

What I know I'm missing/need to do so get this baby running:
    • Both levers
    • Clutch cable
    • Front Brake cable
    • Petcock?
    • All fuel lines
    • Rear seat

image1.jpg

My goal is to have it firing before the new year, are there any members local to the philly/philly burbs area that would trade some wrenching time for a case of beer of their choice???
    Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2017, 10:51 PM.

First thing I did was create a plate to hide all the electronics under the seat (will clean and paint it after I have the bike running so please excuse the oxidized nasty-ness)
    image3.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2017, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Now for the issues I need your help on!

When I attempt to crank the engine I only get a clicking noise from the starter relay, confirmed fully charged battery. How can I test the starter motor itself?

I am missing ALL fuel lines including the petcock and I'm struggling to find any diagrams clearly showing how to route/mount the fuel lines and petcock. Do any members have pictures of their builds that I can see how to run the fuel lines? Any tips on where to buy the lines and petcock?

Comment

Welcome to the site, Kevin.
        It just MIGHT be a ground wire affecting the starter from turning. Some good info in this post.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Manuals, wiring diagrams, carb cleaning tutorials and just about everything need to fix your ride can be found here.
          Halfway down on the left hand side of the page therre is even a thread on hose routing.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

So while following the guide posted above, my fuel rail appears to be missing a few fittings? Where the fuel fitting is shown above the idle knob - i have nothing. Where the vent fittings are shown I have nothing between cylinders 3/4 but I do have an inlet between cylinders 1/2. Is this normal???

IMG_0354.jpg

Comment

It's hard to see what you are looking at in that picture. Can you get one during the day?
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

From looking at the schematic it seems to me you should have the fuel line entering between carb 2 and 3 and a vent hose between 1 and 2.
                I "think" the hose off the front of #2 is a vent that connects to the tank.
                Shop online for OEM Carburetor parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS550L, search all our OEM Parts or call at 252-758-3084

I would post this particular problem in the carb section for the smart guys to see.
                Last edited by steve murdoch; 12-15-2017, 09:53 PM.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I've bridged the starter relay and still no crank. I want to test the starter now before buying a new one - I have removed the starter cover and I see one large wire leading into the starter and another group of wires going into the case. The large gauge wire is all black so I'm assuming this is a ground?
                  IMG_0372.jpg

Update! The lead that you see going into the starter IS the power - previously that was entirely disconnected as one of my friends suggested it may just be an engine ground. I connected that wire to my starter relay and now she cranks strong!

Now on to the fuel system
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2017, 10:45 PM.

Comment

So here's where I may start losing a few people... Going for a ratty cafe style so I've taken to stripping the fuel tank - first coat of gloss is on, waiting until tomorrow for the second (I've intentionally left the imperfections for a patina'd look although a high polish may be happening in the near future...)
                    IMG_0400.jpg

Comment

lol, you lost most with your title.

First thing I'd do would be to get it running before going through all the mods you want to do, unless it's going to be a conversation piece in the living room.. I see you got it turning over, so do a compression test and see what condition the rings and valves are. If the compress is with in 10% of each other you should be good to move forward. The valves still need to be checked, but that is mentioned after the carbs. So order new carb o-rings from Robert Barr at cycleorings.com, you want the BS set. He also sells Allen head screws and intake boot o-rings(we highly suggest that they are replaced) and get some carb dip from your local parts store. They come in one gallon cans, either Berrymans or Gunk brand will do. A couple of cans of carb spray and access to an air compressor if you don't have one. Read the carb cleaning tutorials on bikecliffs website and clean the carbs thoroughly before trying to get it running. If you have clean carbs, you have half the battle won. Don't forget to bench sync the carbs before reinstalling them. Next order a new valve cover gasket and check and adjust your valves. A tutorial can also be found at the same website as well as a downloadable manual for your bike. There is also separate wiring diagrams. Buy a new petcock off of eBay, GEORGE FIXX is a seller to check with on that. If he has one in stock, he has reasonable prices at around $55. Go buy a new set of spark plugs, so you'll eliminate having a bad plug fouling up your efforts.

NOTE, I can almost bet the farm you want pods instead of the stock air box and you know the stock exhaust will not be cool looking and your going to chop off the mufflers. Right?. For this you will have to rejet the carbs. More than likely three sizes up on the mains, but it may be easier to get a stage three Dyna Jet kit, because it comes with most of what you'll need to adjust for the increased air flow. If you do not do this, you'll be putting it back on Clist saying it runs great, but the carbs need adjustment. We've seen this scenario over and over.

Good luck.
                      Last edited by gsrick; 12-18-2017, 01:45 AM.
                      GSRick
                      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinl View Post
                        So here's where I may start losing a few people... Going for a ratty cafe style so I've taken to stripping the fuel tank - first coat of gloss is on, waiting until tomorrow for the second (I've intentionally left the imperfections for a patina'd look although a high polish may be happening in the near future...)
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]53517[/ATTACH]
                        I take it you're a Walking Dead fan.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

What rick said. Get it running properly first, mod later.
                          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Rat is cool. Fix things in the order you want and the order that gives motivation, too many people get bored in the process of doing stuff to their bike that dont spark their imagination and sell off half finished projects.

Comment

Working...
                            X